Query re GSR Drewry railcars

Rate this question

jhb171achill

Question

23 answers to this question

As far as I can remember the booking office at the ISPS Stradbally railway site was one of the standard gauge cars. Not sure if it is still there.

It left Stradbally in 1983 and was moved to Mallow (GRSPS), then Cahir Railway Museum and finally to Dromod in 1993. It was then sent for regauging and re-engining to Alan Keef in Ross-on-Wye and returned in the mid-1990s. The motorised chassis has been used to give enthusiast rides at Dromod but the bodywork remains stored. It was originally a 5ft 3" inspection car.

Looking in the IRS Drewry book, the two broad gauge railcars (as opposed to inspection car) were very similar to the narrow gauge ones. There is a good photo on page 89 of a broad gauge one. Seating capacity was supposedly identical. The wheelbase was 156in, wheel diameter 30in and hp was 70/75. Equivalents for the ng version were 102in, 24in, 40hp. Comparing photos, the bg body was longer by one window and set higher with a deeper chassis frame. If you have a drawing of the ng one, it ought to be relatively straightforward to derive a drawing of the bg one.

Looking in the IRS Drewry book, the two broad gauge railcars (as opposed to inspection car) were very similar to the narrow gauge ones. There is a good photo on page 89 of a broad gauge one. Seating capacity was supposedly identical. The wheelbase was 156in, wheel diameter 30in and hp was 70/75. Equivalents for the ng version were 102in, 24in, 40hp. Comparing photos, the bg body was longer by one window and set higher with a deeper chassis frame. If you have a drawing of the ng one, it ought to be relatively straightforward to derive a drawing of the bg one.

Donal Murray's book on the GSR has pictures of both 385 (broad gauge) and 395 (narrow gauge) on p.78. The West Clare must only have had narrow gauge passengers to fit the same number of passengers into a railcar with one window less per side and a car that was 54" shorter :D

Wrt the PW one, the door is open and obscures the profile view but it certainly seems to be no more than 4 windows per side with running boards only on the front door. I'm not sure if there is a second door on it at all. Is that IRS Drewry book available still?

Edited by DiveController

JHB et al,

My search for information on this type of railcar has led me back here - should have started here  🤔

I'm in the process of building one of these rail cars and am using the Worsley Works Kits to produce a broad gauge version and am running into trouble with the chassis, as the available photos do not provide enough detail.

Progress to date:

20160418_174807.thumb.jpg.97289401e099c9e6694275f1c8f5f232.jpg

Scratch building aid kit as delivered (x2)

20160418_174858.thumb.jpg.2152ccb4a4f3c0071c43ab30e02226b5.jpg

Removing narrow gauge handles prior to splitting the body to insert the additional window (hence the kit x 2)

20180605_205926.thumb.jpg.d7fedd0d47c878e5f99da9ca03dabd14.jpg

Panel inserted and body made up.

20180605_205941.thumb.jpg.2c4ab7d1dabfc6630c0ef35babe0864d.jpg

Scrap brass used to hold the inset section.

20180605_210135.thumb.jpg.a24815d14d752e0d3bc2c00f4d4cff1a.jpg

Basic chassis made to set levels (wrong wheels - correct on order) but now need need a little more information to develop a more accurate chassis / underframe assembly.

Is the information noted above still available??

Here's hoping...

Ken

• Like 2

Very nice work.

I am not sure of exact chassis detail, but I have a vague idea that there's a decent shot of one in the National Photographic Archive collection of the late Jimmy O'Dea. That's maybe the photo reproduced above.....!

Livery wise - GSR later (LMS shade) maroon, though some have said that at least one might have been varnished wood. I cannot confirm or deny that. CIE painted them the standard dark green, complete with (rather large, for the size of them) "eau-de-nil" lines and snail. None ever got the lighter green.

I am afraid I can't provide any info on the interior colours either, though it is probable that they had darkish red upholstery if any, and light brown-painted interiors.

I will delve into the Catacombs here to see if I can dig up anything else.

Edited by jhb171achill

On 6/8/2018 at 12:12 AM, jhb171achill said:

Very nice work.

I am not sure of exact chassis detail, but I have a vague idea that there's a decent shot of one in the National Photographic Archive collection of the late Jimmy O'Dea. That's maybe the photo reproduced above.....!

Livery wise - GSR later (LMS shade) maroon, though some have said that at least one might have been varnished wood. I cannot confirm or deny that. CIE painted them the standard dark green, complete with (rather large, for the size of them) "eau-de-nil" lines and snail. None ever got the lighter green.

I am afraid I can't provide any info on the interior colours either, though it is probable that they had darkish red upholstery if any, and light brown-painted interiors.

I will delve into the Catacombs here to see if I can dig up anything else.

JHB - can you please clarify CIE livery on this railcar? I’m picturing plain green ends with EDN stripes along sides. Black running gear. Does this sound right? Thanks, D

It was the pre-55 green, as seen today on 800 in Cultra and several preserved CIE buses.

An exact sample (actual CIE paint) is on the “snail” on my logo on this site, which is a good quality (in terms of light) photo of the mounted flying snail displayed in Headhunters Railway Museum in Enniskillen. 

Jhb171 Senior got this done in Inchicore about sixty five years ago.

Lining was the same EDN with black & gold lining, as on carriages and buses.

i stand to be corrected on this, but I’m nearly sure that ends were plain unlined green, as you suggest, with the lining on sides only (despite the whole vehicle being like a biscuit tin on wheels).

Carriages, on the other hand, had black ends.

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2018 at 10:19 PM, KMCE said:

I'm in the process of building one of these rail cars and am using the Worsley Works Kits to produce a broad gauge version and am running into trouble with the chassis, as the available photos do not provide enough detail.

Turns out that the Worsley kit will provide partial sides and not much else.  The ends are too narrow and are more suited to the narrow gauge version.  

I'll scratch build some ends for the model I am building.  Dimensions shall be as per the drawing below.  1673081791_DreweryOutline.thumb.jpg.405f0158cc000b917724f62beed9a8a7.jpg

This is drawn up from a poor original GSR drawing of the railcar with elements stuck in such as the notes bottom left.

I'll post the drawing up in the resources section also for reference.

Ken

• Like 2

On 5/5/2019 at 9:35 PM, KMCE said:

Turns out that the Worsley kit will provide partial sides and not much else.  The ends are too narrow and are more suited to the narrow gauge version.  

I'll scratch build some ends for the model I am building.  Dimensions shall be as per the drawing below.  1673081791_DreweryOutline.thumb.jpg.405f0158cc000b917724f62beed9a8a7.jpg

This is drawn up from a poor original GSR drawing of the railcar with elements stuck in such as the notes bottom left.

I'll post the drawing up in the resources section also for reference.

Ken

Looking forward to seeing more on this Ken. I do have a vested interest with a 7mm one in the build pile!