Belmond conversion in Model Rail

Rate this topic

RANGERMOUSE

In this months model rail there is a feature on modelling the Belmond Grand Hibernian. George Dent converts 2 Hornby MK3's to the EGV and the observation car. He has also resprayed a MM 201 to 216. He does mention briefly using Railtech decals but I checked their website and found no trace. There is not great detail on how he went about the conversions but it may inspire someone on here, myself included, to give it a go.

Edited by RANGERMOUSE

Just picked up a copy of that. The colour scheme is so simple even a mug like me could manage it.

A full rake would look savage I reckon. Any idea on where to get the decal?? Anyone?

I think Railtec would be your best bet since they provided the decals for the article. Might be holding off putting them out on general release to gauge demand..

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

I am giving serious consideration to a comprehensive Hi-Bee kitbashing pack

-NS buffet split windows etches

-the three NS observation carriage windows on a half etched backplate to simplify scratchbuilding

-decals for coaches and the loco

-full set of nickle silver county nameplates

Cost should be c.€45 or €62 including the MK3 side etches

Let me know if you're interested.

Edited by Weshty

Folks,

-the three NS observation carriage windows on a half etched backplate to simplify scratchbuilding

Definatly count me in on that one Des-but without the loco transfers as you have already kindly supplied those to me.

Folks,

I would be interested also!

• 2 weeks later...

As many have noticed, George Dent has indeed used Grand Hibernian decals for the Model Rail article. They take advantage of the 3D technology which gives the correct relief both on the coach nameplates, Celtic knots as well as traditional nameplates on 216 (as opposed to flat 2D transfers which would only mimic the effect). We are just awaiting the official ok from Belmond as there are trademark and IP issues at play here before we can reproduce at large. We already have an agreement in place with them for the UK bits so hopefully the addendum for the Grand Hibernian shouldn't take too much longer.

Some of you will already know that since we made a colossal investment in new technology last summer, Railtec product is now spot printed - so no superfluous carrier film. Additionally it is scratch resistant, has no halftoning and is compatible with enamels as well as acrylics. Particularly the 3D transfers are proving immensely popular, one such example seen below on one of Pete Waterman's locos on his iconic 7mm Leamington Spa layout:

7208a.jpg

7208b.jpg

The 3D transfers are much easier to use than etched, require no filing off any sprue, require no painting of course, and a lot less expensive!

Edited by railtec-transfers