D.S.E.R. Avoca

Rate this topic

Hi all, caught the afternoon Connolly-Rosslare service passing Tigroney, Avoca today. The pic were taken from the Miners Cross and I have read that a siding once existed at this location for the loading of ore from the local mines. This section is steeply graded and the train is just south of 'The Meetings' in the Rathdrum-Arklow section, a pic also of the water tower at Avoca Station good to see it largely intact and has been used by steam specials up to quite recently.

Tower2.jpg

DSCF5625.jpg

Hi Mike,

I did not get many photos on this occasion but the place is very interesting, historical and beautiful. The railway following the course of the Avoca River all the way down to Arklow. Copper was mined here in the past and transported to Arklow, Wicklow and Dun Laoghaire by rail. Before the arrival of the Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford railway, a tram-line type system existed for transporting the ore to Arklow Port. You may find the attached link of interest.

http://www.countywicklowheritage.org/page/mining_in_west_avoca

I was on an IRRS special that stopped at Avoca - late 1970s/early 80s - must have been one of the first trains to stop there in years. I seem to remember that the family in the station house were sitting watching TV and suddenly there were a couple of hundred enthusiasts peering in their window. The house itself has been bastardized but the water tank remains. Of course the station should have been reopened years ago but CIE have no vision. I was told perhaps 10/15 years ago that it would cost a minimum of €500k to reopen it - I suppose that would include extending platforms, cobblelock, palisade fencing, lifts, OTT signage....I could go on but I'll leave it to Boards.ie...

I was on an IRRS special that stopped at Avoca - late 1970s/early 80s - must have been one of the first trains to stop there in years. I seem to remember that the family in the station house were sitting watching TV and suddenly there were a couple of hundred enthusiasts peering in their window.

In the 60s, we lived in a very cute cottage in a tourist hot-spot - people would often take photographs looking in through the windows while I was having my tea - I sometimes check the internet - one may turn up one day..

UsFrAdg.jpg