Grand Hibernian on a Budget

Rate this topic

roxyguy

Old Lima 201 that has been hanging around like a bad smell for years.

I bought it and it was hand weathered with brown enamel - I don't feel too bad about stripping and respraying. (Dave look away):)

Plan is to re-motor and give it the Belmond treatment.

MK3's and decals are on the way also.

Inspiration from this month's model rail.

IMG_20170314_221151.jpg

Very Interested in this project as I was thinking of something to do with mine. Lots of pictures and descriptions please.

Cheers, will do. I have a silver spray that looks close enough. I am just going to eyeball the blue against the pictures in Model Rail - he had to darken an existing BR blue. Off to the motor shop I reckon.

Another company called ModelTorque also produced replacement motors, but I think they may have ceased production.

Graham Rooke, the man behind the ModelTorque range, died just before Christmas 2012, and, although there was a possibility of things continuing at some point, it looks as though they haven't.

I contacted Diesel Trains during the week about a 201 motor but they never got back to me. The item was out of stock. I wonder are they still operational?? I know re-motoring Lima's is probably a bit old hat at this stage but it worked well in some of locos I re-motored and was a cheap way to revive an old DC train.

Just got 1 myself, which one was the Wright one, I got the 12 teeth

I would say this one. It says suitable for all G type motors. Also the review is from someone who remotored a class 55.

Diesels trains motor for the class 201 was also suitable for a class 55. So it's a good guess it will work.

https://www.freewebstore.org/susumotor/Sm-Lima_slim/p2469823_14467051.aspx