testing track

Rate this question

Peter

Question

10 answers to this question

I did indeed use my real name.

I have electrofrog points for the track the short wheel base trains will run on.

Now to buy a longer loco and carriages to test the set track points I have in the fiddle yard. I have second radius curves for my outer loop.

Peter

You're getting good advice from these gents.

I'm track laying at the moment and run more or less every combination of loco type, coaches, WAGONS through new points and track, fast and slowly - easier to fix things before ballasting (whatever that is!) etc.

I don't think you need buy longer locos, except they're in your game plan - merely what you plan to use. So, in my case, BoBo diesels (dead easy!) 0-6-0s, 4-4-0s and 2-6-4 and 4-4-2 tanks. It is the latter which is giving me problems as it mysteriously loses traction after one of my points - almost certainly my terrible lack of track laying skills.

Good luck.

Leslie

Peter what track and especially points are you using. Hornby are not very highly rated by most who have used them and can be more problematic than others. Peco is one of the preferred commonly available points. I should be mixable with any straight and curves from other manufacture provided it is all code 100 track (or whatever).

Leslie, is this an electrical problem? DC or DCC and how is it wired. To lose traction mechanically the wheels on the loco or the track would have to be out of balance or a combination of both at that particular place on the layout

If you are testing actual running of stock, then the main issue will be how tight your curves are and whether there are any sharp changes of gradient. Really tight curves will limit the wheelbase of any locos you use and make longer vehicles look unsightly. Uneven track could cause pick up problems, particularly with short locos and/or ones that don not have pick ups on all wheels.

The other issue with sharp curves might be buffer locking, but not if you are using tension lock [or similar] couplings.

As others have mentioned, the other point of track testing is for electrical continuity. Using live frog points should help reduce problems, while DCC with 'stay alive' capacity seems to overcome dead frog points these days.

Bottom lines are probably down to using the largest radius curves and points you have room for. Visual effect will be better as will running. However, if you have to use sharp curves, then keep loco/wagon/coach lengths short and you should still be alright.

I'm using radius 1 and 2 settrack curves on the layout. Peco code 80. Using those radius because of space. I have peco settrack points in the fiddle yard and medium and curved streamline points on the rest of the layout.

My shunter and wagons don't have issues. However, I'm going to run Irish diesel locos on the outer loop. Hoping they can handle the radius 2 curves.

Hi Peter

My N layout has r1 & r2 curves and all locos n stock go around OK, if using standard N couplers there is oodles of space to get around...

Don't know what chassis your going to use for Irish diesels but the BR Class 20 is good for 121s, Class C, & 141, BR Class 66 is good for 201s, and BR Class 30 is good for Class A. All these chassis are a bit long but hard to reduce in size, they all go around my layout OK....

Hope that helps

Eoin