Coming to a Steam Shed near you - the Class UG is in the Post!

Rate this topic

leslie10646

The postman brought a very welcome letter this morning - a demand for payment for my Class UG from 00 Works.

I knew it was close, as a friend had received his letter the other day.

Well, I've paid by bank transfer, so I hope to post piccies within a few days.

Watch this space!

Leslie

The postman brought a very welcome letter this morning - a demand for payment for my Class UG from 00 Works.

I knew it was close, as a friend had received his letter the other day.

Well, I've paid by bank transfer, so I hope to post piccies within a few days.

Watch this space!

Leslie

*Gasp*

Looking forward to seeing this Leslie. A 0-6-0 should have none of the balancing problems some have experienced.....

I've not gone for one of their UG's though... I may well do if they do a GNRi one in due course. It'll be interesting to hear what they may do next now that they've sorted their motor issues.....

Richard.

Looking forward to seeing this Leslie. A 0-6-0 should have none of the balancing problems some have experienced.....

I've not gone for one of their UG's though... I may well do if they do a GNRi one in due course. It'll be interesting to hear what they may do next now that they've sorted their motor issues.....

Richard.

Richard - a couple of us at least asked for one in plain black - in effect the GN livery, but my first one will be Good 'ol No.49 in UTA lined black, which as Patrick says, looks good. Like him, I hate to admit that ANYTHING the UTA did was good!

As for you guys who didn't order, as Stevie says, they're sold out -

BUT, I know from talking to Roderick himself the other day, he would do another batch if he gets about ten orders, so hopefully when you steam men get reports on the loco you'll get your name down.

The UG was arguably a more useful loco than the U itself - just about capable of mile a minute on a passenger, but good for a decent length goods train - I've just brought a few dozen of my wagons out of store to see how many it can move!!!

Reports next week, but by the sound of it, the first photos will be from Patrick!

My postman was busy this morning, bringing me not one but three parcels.

See another thread re the contents of the second and third parcels, but this was the first I opened -

DSC01629.jpg

which was reverently taken upstairs, the layout switched to DC operation with my trusty Gaugemaster -

DSC01631.jpg

And later posing with her big Sister -

DSC01639.jpg

DSC01640.jpg

The well-educated among you will spot the glaring error on the loco, but it doesn't concern me too much.

Needless to say, she ran straight out of the box and ran faultlessly at slow speed round my loft, traversing about half a dozen points without faltering - so this loco may not need a Stay-Alive?

Then, being a hard task-master, I hung a dozen wagons from a certain modelling concern behind her and repeated the performance with equally good results.

I kept hanging them on until she was moving 25 without too much strain - my 2 foot curves did cause a bit of slipping, but once she was happily under way, she just romped along.

If someone will give me tuition in uploading video, you can have a (very bad) bit of her on twenty wagons at slow speed.

Great piece of work and worth waiting for.

Edited by leslie10646

Kieran

That's the best advert I've ever seen for Provincial Wagons - an entire train of my wagons behind your little UG!

Seventeen and a van is longer than most layouts could manage. I have tested it with 24 and a van and it went fine. I must try it with thirty!

Fine little loco.

Leslie

Edited by leslie10646

I'm really gutted that I didn't get to hear about 00 Works earlier and maybe I could have put in an order for both locos also. There certainly are none left and nothing coming out until the end of the year. When were they first advertised and how long ago were orders placed? I don't suppose anyone has one for sale?

Surely to goodness the lining isn't red and WHITE? Are we looking at a Hornby British Railways engine?

Ye gads. This is absolutely elementary stuff.

Or does my befuddled mind play tricks on me? Has the gargle dimmed me brain?

My dear John

When I referred to the glaringly obvious error earlier in this thread (Post 11 to be precise) - I assumed that YOU of all people would have seen it.

If one intended to keep it in UTA black lined livery, then it won't do, for it should be straw and red (crimson?) lining. Say what you like about the UTA (and we do!!!) their lined livery was a lovely example of the painter's art.

As mine will, in time, get Great Northern'ived with a plain black livery, numbers and letters - honestly, I'm not too worried.

But it's a shame that this error slipped through on what is a super little engine.

Edited by leslie10646

Tony

The Class U and Class UG were announced, as Nelson says, about 14/15 months ago.

Talking to Roderick, he WOULD consider add-on runs if there was the demand - I think the figure ten was mentioned.

Now, I have already asked for a send UG and have been put on a waiting list - if you are interested then I suggest that you do the same and ask to be considered if it becomes available agin.

I was surprised to find that he made less UG's (to fulfil a smaller demand) than Class U's. I would have thought it the more useful engine, but who can resist a BLUE 4-4-0?

Tony, and the rest of you who may now be having second thoughts, if you want a UG and are not on the list already, maybe you'd PM me and I'll keep a tab of how many are wanted. Then I'll try and persuade Roderick to do another small batch.

Regards

Leslie

PS must get mine off to have its chip put in!

My dear John

When I referred to the glaringly obvious error earlier in this thread (Post 11 to be precise) - I assumed that YOU of all people would have seen it.

If one intended to keep it in UTA black lined livery, then it won't do, for it should be straw and red (crimson?) lining. Say what you like about the UTA (and we do!!!) their lined livery was a lovely example of the painter's art.

As mine will, in time, get Great Northern'ived with a plain black livery, numbers and letters - honestly, I'm not too worried.

But it's a shame that this error slipped through on what is a super little engine.

I did, Leslie, only getting round to commenting now!

I agree entirely with you - it's tragic that such an utterly elementary error has shown up. Absolutely ridiculous.

Correct, Patrick. A straw colour plus red, not white and red.

The lining on the UG model is British Rail!!!! Which was a white-lined very light grey with red. And yes, red con-rod. As others have commented, a very attractive livery when clean. Of course, many of us will remember it in a very heavily weathered and worn dirty state, but few will remember it clean! Personally, I can only remember two or three occasions when I saw a reasonably clean UTA loco.

The current lining on No. 4 is correct.