Noel

Kingsbridge - paint shop

So, exceptions.....

At least two, and possibly three, (fitted) "H" vans were standard carriage green with black chassis, for use as mail vans on Tralee-Mallow trains.

Jeepers, any photos of these anywhere?

Jeepers, any photos of these anywhere?

A forthcoming book will show two (albeit very much in the background) sitting in Mallow on the down side.

I've seen a better pic elsewhere, will delve. I'd imagine it was a short-lived arrangement.

Posted (edited)

Finished lightly weathering 25 wagons. On next batch will try some alternate methods like washes and powders. This is addictive.

Wagons after visit to varnishing shop - Humbrol Acrylic matt spray can varnish

IMG_1589.jpg

Wagons back on the layout

IMG_1610.jpg

CIE Decals from Weshty

IMG_1611.jpg

Video of rake of recently weathered wagons. Some sound editing to add to the DCC sound coming from the loco. :)

I just love the diversity of loose coupled goods trains of that era.

Edited by Noel

Looking good - great weathering job.
It really does make a difference.

Cheers JB + Kieran. Well learning. :) The main thing is it has opened up another aspect of the hobby for me which I am enjoying. Looking forward to weathering the IRM ballasts later this month when my order is delivered. I added some background rail noises to the video which was interesting. I'm thinking of making up an app to play selected background sound mixes in a loop.

Posted (edited)

Next project is this. Now what livery to go for? :confused: I am torn between Black'n'Tan 1960s, but really like the black livery with the yellow front panel, and then there is the flying snail green livery which would be great for hauling some of my green flying snail coaches. Decisions decisions. First one was to file away the head light boxes.

IMG_1683.jpg

Does anybody have any colour photos of those liveries, very few on the internet?

Edited by Noel

Posted (edited)

Noel, the various colour albums should show enough of them to get an idea.

Basically, for A and C classes:

1. New - to early 1960s at latest: All over silver, bogies & roof included when new. Since this weathered worse than any livery in history, before or since, heavy weathering is obligatory to look realistic! Numbers in light green in ends and on mid sides. Metal Flying Snails light green attached, not just painted on. I have one somewhere.

2. 1960 or so, overlapping (dirty) silver, to 1963 - post-'55 lighter green with or without thin waistline light green band. Steel "snail" painted light green attached to sides, high up middle. Numbers in light green on ends and sides as before.

3. 1962: now we're into the black'n'tan era. Initially, full black'n'tan with waist high tan all round. Numbers on ends as before but in white. Side numbers small at ends. Then, all black. Some had CIE rounded on sides with small numbers at cab ends, others had a single large number in the middle and no roundel. Numbers on all black ends as before. Finally, some (not all) got the yellow panel with black number; other details as before.

4. After re-engining (if that's a real word) in late 60s / early 70s, a few initially with full height tan band, but most (and eventually all) with lower dipped tan band on side. Roundels and smaller numerals.

5. Post 1972, Supertrain livery.

6. For the A class, post-1987 Tippex livery. No Cs ever got this as they were all recently withdrawn. I think a C in tippex would have looked great!

Re the grey / green era, there will be a book.................though it's going to be several years!

Edited by jhb171achill

Noel, the various colour albums should show enough of them to get an idea.

Basically, for A and C classes:

1. New - to early 1960s at latest: All over silver, bogies & roof included when new. Since this weathered worse than any livery in history, before or since, heavy weathering is obligatory to look realistic! Numbers in light green in ends and on mid sides. Metal Flying Snails light green attached, not just painted on. I have one somewhere.

2. 1960 or so, overlapping (dirty) silver, to 1963 - post-'55 lighter green with or without thin waistline light green band. Steel "snail" painted light green attached to sides, high up middle. Numbers in light green on ends and sides as before.

3. 1962: now we're into the black'n'tan era. Initially, full black'n'tan with waist high tan all round. Numbers on ends as before but in white. Side numbers small at ends. Then, all black. Some had CIE rounded on sides with small numbers at cab ends, others had a single large number in the middle and no roundel. Numbers on all black ends as before. Finally, some (not all) got the yellow panel with black number; other details as before.

4. After re-engining (if that's a real word) in late 60s / early 70s, a few initially with full height tan band, but most (and eventually all) with lower dipped tan band on side. Roundels and smaller numerals.

5. Post 1972, Supertrain livery.

6. For the A class, post-1987 Tippex livery. No Cs ever got this as they were all recently withdrawn. I think a C in tippex would have looked great!

Re the grey / green era, there will be a book.................though it's going to be several years!

John, thank you very much. You are truly the 'jbikipedia' of this forum all matters Irish railways. :)

Next project is this. IMG_1683.jpgQUOTE]

Noel have you considered cutting out the circular windows and grills. These can be replaced with the SSM A/C Class kit and gives that through view into the engine compartment. Also you could replace the hand rails and horn with brass and to my mind lifts the model to another level.

Only a suggestion....

John, thank you very much. You are truly the 'jbikipedia' of this forum all matters Irish railways. :)

I remember most of it, Noel! Oul Father Time......!!

(And there are an increasing number of days when i feel it.........!)

Posted (edited)

For general interest's sake, and of use to our colleagues building a layout based on Bantry, it may be of interest to know the regular C's on the West Cork system: these were -

C202

C210

C217

C220 (Lined green after 1960)

C224

C230 (Unlined green after July 1960)

C231 (Lined green by November 1960)

C232

C234 (Unlined green by mid 1960)

All others thoroughly filthy "silver".

In 1963, when they started painting them black'n'tan, a few were still silver - never went green. For our Bantry friends, (mods - is it possible to post this with Bantry as well?) the black Bandon Tank (No. 464) and green "C" class locos would bring in new interest if the layout is based about 1960/1, just before it closed, instead of in the fifties. It also allows railcars after 1954 - these would obviously not be accurate for, say, early fifties.

This is all for the record, for those wanting accuracy. If I had a West Cork layout, I would also be happy to have black'n'tan 141s heading a couple of Cravens and a Dutch Van towards Skibbereen......!

Edited by jhb171achill

Noel have you considered cutting out the circular windows and grills. These can be replaced with the SSM A/C Class kit and gives that through view into the engine compartment. Also you could replace the hand rails and horn with brass and to my mind lifts the model to another level.

Only a suggestion....

Hi Kieran.

Thanks for suggestions. I have considered same, but I've decided to walk before I run on the first loco project. I have the SSM detailing kit, but the grills don't match for C class (i.e. the SF body grill seems incorrectly much wider), I've already filed off the headlamp as the loco will be pre-rebuilt era, and I quite like the existing resin grill on top, which leaves brass for just the front window surrounds, wipers, etc. I will save the SSM detail kit for an A class project where I can use all of the brass. For this C class I have a modified centre drive chassis which fills the internal space, so little point having a see through grill (i.e. on the prototype you could see right through the loco from one side to the other).

The three areas I wan't to concentrate on for this first loco 'training exercise', is the quality and precision of the paint job, chassis running performance as per the prototype (i.e. due weight, all wheel drive and all wheel pickup), and DCC sound.

Noel

I know what you mean about the Kit, you have to cut it for a C Class.

IMG_3281.JPG

Looking forward to seeing your chassis Noel.

Yea, if I cut the resin I'd want to ensure the grills ended up flush with the body sides rather than protruding, same for the window frames, well almost flush. :)

There is a lot to do to this kit to ring it up to a good standard.

I got the brass etch and only used the round fan grill. I'm still trying to glaze it

and the motor i got with it was so bad, i put in a Black Beetle which runs very well.

Good luck, it will be nice when finished i'm sure.

What's the best chassis to use for a "C"? Also, even if not best as such, what's the cheapest and easiest?

A forthcoming book will show two (albeit very much in the background) sitting in Mallow on the down side.

I've seen a better pic elsewhere, will delve. I'd imagine it was a short-lived arrangement.

Ok, JB, many thanks. Please post or PM

K

What's the best chassis to use for a "C"? Also, even if not best as such, what's the cheapest and easiest?

SF recommends these Hornby chassis for a plastic "cut and shut" job: Class 25 or 29 or 73, and the C class kit comes with instructions for cutting any of these three. However these are old style basic chassis (i.e. railroad specs) with only four wheel diagonal pickup and one powered bogie.

There is no drop-in chassis as such for the A or C Class,

Patrick's and Eoin's idea of a false floor & Tensodo Spud or Black Beetle motor bogie or preferably motor bogies is probably the simplest and most effective option particularly if you want a detailed interior.

Personally I would go for a Blackbeetle with the 28:1 gearing option rather than a standard Spud or Blackbeetle to avoid jack rabbit starting and supersonic top speed.

While the original Cs had a pretty bad reputation they seem to have been capable of hauling quite heavy goods & mixed trains on the West Cork main line and Valencia line.

Many thanks, folks.

Yes, photos show them in front of very heavy loads - this can't have helped their unenviable reliability record!

SF recommends these Hornby chassis for a plastic "cut and shut" job: Class 25 or 29 or 73, and the C class kit comes with instructions for cutting any of these three. However these are old style basic chassis (i.e. railroad specs) with only four wheel diagonal pickup and one powered bogie.

You might try looking at American HO locos. Although I don't have the dimensions to hand, I think something like an F Unit chassis might be a good fit for the C Class.

Posted (edited)

Confession time - major boo-boo

All ready to go - or at least that's what I thought - after using grease proof paper as a backing to cut masking tape templates for cab fascia's

IMG_1727.jpg

Disaster - major mistake 9" white stripe! I used the 3mm masking tape instead of the 2mm. Will have to start again, not happy. :)

IMG_1731.jpg

Back to square one - redo white stripe properly this time :)

IMG_1733.jpg

Not entirely happy but its an improvement - White stripe corrected to 6" scale height. She's nearly ready for the tan band.

IMG_1738.jpg

Ah well, I hope I learn from my mistakes!!! Will try and finish this over the next week or so. Btw, this was done using 'Vallejo Model Air' acrylic paints. Pre-thinned straight out of the bottle into the air brush cup. The paint goes on easier and nicer than the Tamiya I've used so far.

Edited by Noel