NIR GMs in 2017

Rate this topic

dave182

Ah, these. Contractor designed spoil containers, akin to their southern counterparts, but with little or no structural integrity. These aren't going to withstand one operation, no mind a full season of works. Thin uprights, thin steel, no central connector - one slap of a bucket and they'll be like confetti in the wind.

Speaking of yellow things, where's the flying, thumping banana? Aka the Last of the Eighties, aka the NIR Sandite train? Seems to have disappeared from her siding at York Road Works. Indoors, being readied for her next/last Sandite season?

I think at least part of the set has been scrapped.

Speaking of yellow things, where's the flying, thumping banana? Aka the Last of the Eighties, aka the NIR Sandite train? Seems to have disappeared from her siding at York Road Works. Indoors, being readied for her next/last Sandite season?

Withdrawn and scrapped around March or April this year I think.

And again, speaking of yellow things:

Can someone assist with a gap in my extensive notes of livery stuff? When I was a mere nipper, back in the days when Jesus was learning his spellings, the M1 was cobbled and pussy was a kitten, and wifi signals were poor in the round tower at Clonmacnoise, all PW stuff was standard wagon grey, across the GNR, NCC, UTA and CIE. Then one day about 1971 or so, such things began to appear, on the rare occasions they saw a paintbrush, in the standard goods wagon brown (which nowadays has morphed into a horrible reddish garish brown!).

My question is when did PW plough vans (not those funny yellow machines - proper vans) start appearing in yellow? Does anyone know? Would it have been about 1985 or so?

And again, speaking of yellow things: . . .

Ah JB don't wind me up :) I don't do 'yellow things' on our layout. Railways were for the transport of passengers and freight. Yellow things were an ugly and obscure aberration necessary only to facilitate running of proper trains. :)

Ah JB don't wind me up :) I don't do 'yellow things' on our layout. Railways were for the transport of passengers and freight. Yellow things were an ugly and obscure aberration necessary only to facilitate running of proper trains. :)

I'm absolutely with you on that, Noel!

Was just curious though......

It's a pity when there's so very little of interest on the railways that a yellow machine is notable......