Ebay CIE Brown Van

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

Interesting. Looks like an old Hornby van repainted as a GN cement van in cie livery? Not quite right as it's an older model and has the vent in the end, but not bad either!

Well done!

Richard.

Well done indeed - a rare relic.

Livery wise, it bears no relation to anything that ever ran... In brown, the roof and chassis should also be brown. The CIE thing should be on the upper half, not the bottom corner. No wagon ever had lettering "CIE", let alone that size, and the numeral and mysterious "N" are not of this world either!

But an interesting collectors item at a bargain price!

I suppose that in terms of looking for suitably accurate stock for a layout, a perusal of suppliers on here would serve well; Leslie's stuff and others represent the 1950-70 period well.

Any of the colour album books published in the last 15 years will show prototypes, train make ups and liveries, so a look after that at, say, the Bachmann website, will show models of British stuff which is close enough to look right when repainted in CIE style.

When looking at BR items, a repaint can fit in well with Irish stuff even if not 100% accurate. Even the basics of repainting black strapping and ironwork, and chassis in the body colour, will make things look instantly "Irish".

Edited by jhb171achill

In terms of stock and building a collection, my plan is to pick up the occasional bargain and also to scratchbuild a collection of wagons that frequented the area, in my case Omagh. I am in the process of identifying and sourcing brass W-irons, axleboxes and parts to build at least one or more of every type of wagon I need. On a small shunting layout like Omagh North, long trains of wagons or passenger coaches are not possible. Therefore, I would appreciate any photographs of wagon detail, if possible from other forum members, please.

The Hornby model is based on the BR Vanwide pallet wagons the last design of short wheelbase BR vans. CIE had nothing remotely similar http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brvanwide

The model was originally introduce by Triang-Hornby in the 70s with working sliding doors.

Like this one? :) It was a bit of a modelling carbuncle alright, but seemed sheer perfection when I was a young boy and nearly fainted with excitement.

IMG_1536.jpg

47 years ago I hated the plastic white roof it came with so out came the Humbrol grey and within an hour of unboxing it on Christmas day the roof was dulled :)

Edited by Noel
Corrected by English Teacher Wrenneire Fr Peter the perfect priest

Just managed to win this on eBay at £15

Really nice to add my first to the layout from CIE

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27319[/ATTACH]

Hornby released these vans as part of an "Irish Freight" train set in the early 2000's. It came with a 0-4-0 loco with Flying Snail. a yellow coal wagon and a Burmah oil wagon along with a controller/set of tracks. I have a couple running around Ballybeg for variety even though not prototypical... Better models are available now.

Edited by Irishrailwayman

Hi John & thanks for that list, do you know is there any similar / lookalike list of IRISH VANS / WAGONS available that you know of, lots of talk about the differences in Irish compaired to UK, but a few photos might help,

Thanks

BTB

BTB

Get yourself a copy of 'Irish Broad Gauge Carriages' by Des Coakham, Midland Publishing. Diarmuid had a copy of at the Bray Fair on Sunday last. Its mainly passenger coaches but near the end a fair few wagons come into it

Eoin

Thanks Eoin, I've been looking at photos of CIE WAGONS / VANS that for me, when playing with trains they, with some painting / respraying & weathering would pass the 2 FOOT Challange..

Hi Paul. That's what I'm hoping to achieve with many of my early era Bachmann UK goods wagons - pseudo CIE 1950s-1970s that pass the 'duck test' after some decals, weathering and/or resprays, with some genuine scale Irish wagons in RTR and kit form added for the same era. Noel

I'm intrigued....what's the "duck test"?

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

Or an alternative is the "two foot" rule :) Both of which can be applied to model trains.

I find both apply quite well to most rolling stock, especially stock that has some poetic license, is not super detailed, or has some technical compromises, paint shades a bit off, but visually looks close enough to what it is mimicking to pass the "duck test" or "two foot" rule. I do appreciate and respect that for some the "duck test" is a bridge too far. :)