Irish Broad Gauge Carriages - Desmond Coakham.

Rate this topic

Broithe

This book was recently available for the princely sum of €3.

My copy has just reached me and I notice that the bottom picture on page 14 is captioned for TPO 160, but the picture is actually of the four-wheeled vent van No 764 - this picture is used again with the correct caption on page 64 - I was hoping that the picture had been inadvertently interchanged, but no such luck.

Is there an online image of TPO 160 anywhere?

This book was recently available for the princely sum of €3.

My copy has just reached me and I notice that the bottom picture on page 14 is captioned for TPO 160, but the picture is actually of the four-wheeled vent van No 764 - this picture is used again with the correct caption on page 64 - I was hoping that the picture had been inadvertently interchanged, but no such luck.

Is there an online image of TPO 160 anywhere?

I had a look in the GSWR diagram book of 1923 which I have and there's no mention of a vehicle of that number at all, let alone a TPO! So the plot thickens; was this thing a conversion, and if so, when and why?

G.S.& W.R. Carriage Register lists 140 as a Post Office Mail Van. 30' long. One compartment. Gas lighting. 6 wheeled with brakes on 4 of them. Built Jan 1894. Fitted with 2 gangways, 1 recovery net, 4 delivery arms and steam heating. Withdrawn 1957. 160 is listed as a Horse Box.