The Munster Double (double head 071)

Rate this topic

snapper

A date for the books :):):) Should be some roar from a pair of 071 in notch 8

https://www.facebook.com/events/117058692173236/

After the success of ‘The Marble Tribesman’ we are delighted to announce are next Diesel tour for 2017.

Our next tour entitled ‘The Munster Double’ will take place on the 14th of October 2017 and will see the first time two 071 Class GM locos will work in multiple throughout.

The tour will depart Dublin Connolly and head South along the mainline to Cork. The train will then head back to Mallow and out the Kerry Road towards Tralee. There will be several photo stops along the route so make sure you have enough memory cards and batteries to last the day!

All proceeds from this railtour will go directly to the continuation of the restoration of GM 121 Class No 134.

Tickets will be available for online booking this week.

Sounds an interesting curiosity. Please forgive the question, but why are two 071's required? I thought 071's did not double-head under power during their operating lives, only when one had broken down and was being towed, or the transfer of a loco. Are 071's setup for dual control? Presume one has enough HP to haul 8 coaches on that route.

Two 071s are not required at all, its to add a different element to the tour. All 071s are fitted for multiple working it was just never used before now.

Ok, thanks for explaining. I vaguely remember hearing some funny story about 201s doing multiple working on a trip some years ago.

Ok, thanks for explaining. I vaguely remember hearing some funny story about 201s doing multiple working on a trip some years ago.

I seem to recall some members mentioning that 201s did double head on rare occasions, and certainly a coupling was buckled on one occasion due to the combined tractive effort

071 and 111 did work in multiple on an ITG tour back in the '90s. And another time 111 and 113 worked in multiple on another tour, again on NIR rails only. IE don't allow double heading of 071 and 201 class locos. Wonder how the RPSI got permission from Irish Rail to double head 071s for a full rail tour.

Edited by Railer

201 double heading only ever happened once and it was NIR's 208 and 209 on the NIR network only as part of the ITG Yankee rail tour. A few Cravens screw couplings were damaged alright due to the acceleration forces involved, they just about held together though.

. . .IE don't allow double heading of 071 and 201 class locos. . .

Interesting. Is there an operational or safety reason for this (e.g. weight restrictions, driver training, equipment, etc)?

201 double heading only ever happened once and it was NIR's 208 and 209 on the NIR network only as part of the ITG Yankee rail tour. A few Cravens screw couplings were damaged alright due to the acceleration forces involved, they just about held together though.

Was that because drivers may not have been trained or familiar handling 6400 hp on acceleration?

Edited by Noel

As far as I know, it was a weight/ track maintenance ware reason. Like how IE still have a rule where a loco can only tow a maximum of 2 dead locos at a time. It was 071 had to make two trips with the RPSI locos to bring them to Connolly. There was no reason why 134,141 and 175 could not have made the trip as one train. 141 and 175 were brought over together and then 071 had to go back to Inchicore to collect 134.

As far as I know, it was a weight/ track maintenance ware reason. Like how IE still have a rule where a loco can only tow a maximum of 2 dead locos at a time. It was 071 had to make two trips with the RPSI locos to bring them to Connolly. There was no reason why 134,141 and 175 could not have made the trip as one train. 141 and 175 were brought over together and then 071 had to go back to Inchicore to collect 134.

Thanks Railer. I presume modern locos like 201 class have cab voice and track data recorders much CVR and FDR used in commercial aircraft (orange boxes btw not black), but did any such equipment get retro fitted to older loco classes here? Noel

• 5 months later...

Oh no! Your not out Flashing again John?

A we flashing story.

My Aunt was Flashed at one day whilst returning to her home on Military Road from Killiney Station. She had decided to take the lane-way, the one opposite the Station and return home that way. On her way along the lane, a Man opened his coat and exposed himself. Her response. "Oh dear, were I you, I should be ashamed to point that little thing at anyone." Whilst relating this story to me, her explanation was -"Well David, I should know about these things and what they look look like. I have, after all, borne seven children and I know what a proper one should looks like."

With that, she insisted I pour her a very large Whisky, and a Gin for you Dear.

Hope to see you John!

David.

Edited by Old Blarney

Excellent, David!

My late aunt used to work as kitchen manager in a convent in Dublin. The Sister Superior, a tiny little English woman, Sister veronica, was a real character with a zany sense of humour. My aunt used to take her and Sister Frances, who was a little more conservative, out occasionally for a summer picnic. They were out one time, probably above Rathfarnham when it was semi-rural, and a man flashed them. Both the nuns burst into hysterical laughter, pointing at his flashing equipment. He retreated, deep red* in the face.....

(* probably accurate GSR pre-1933 maroon....)

Full timings for anybody interested

Dublin Connolly 08.05

Drumcondra 08.09

Glasnevin Jctn. 08.12

Inchicore 08.23

Hazelhatch 08.32

Sallins 08.38

Newbridge 08.45

Kildare 08.49

Cherryville Jctn. 08.52

Monasterevin 08.56

Portarlington 09.02 09.03

Portlaoise 09.13

Ballybrophy 09.27

Lisduff 09.32

Templemore 09.37

Thurles 09.45 09.53

Limerick Jctn. 10.14

Charleville 10.34

Mallow 10.48 10.50

Cork 11.16 11.50

Mallow 12.17 12.45

Banteer 12.59

Millstreet 13.11

Rathmore 13.19

Killarney 13.40 13.50

Farranfore 14.10 14.20

Tralee 14.40 15.50

Farranfore 16.07

Killarney 16.32 16.57

Rathmore 17.15

Millstreet 17.25

Banteer 17.36 17.40

Mallow 17.57 18.00

Charleville 18.15

Limerick Jctn. 18.38 18.47

Thurles 19.06

Templemore 19.13

Lisduff 19.18

Ballybrophy 19.24

Portlaoise 19.37

Portarlington 19.46 19.47

Monasterevin 19.54

Cherryville Jctn. 19.57

Kildare 19.59

Newbridge 20.03

Sallins 20.09

Hazelhatch 20.17

Inchicore 20.26

Glasnevin Jctn. 20.32

Drumcondra 20.35

Dublin Connolly 20.42

Very impressed with RPSI rail tour organisation and the train.

EDIT - attachments gone. Please see later posts in this thread.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28843[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28844[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28843[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28845[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28846[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28847[/ATTACH]

Edited by Noel