GNRi1959

Omagh GNRi Station

Posted (edited)

Baseboard end fitted today to give possibilities of a running train in a circuit. This last fixture rests on good quality right-angle brackets and will be designed to lift in and out as required though entry is possible by 'ducking under' the baseboard. As you can see there some planning going on with lots to consider. Its quite deceiving in size. I have 2m x 1.6, the left hand side is 2.8m long to allow for a fiddle yard, just out of shot. No hurry on my part, its still not garden shed weather!

IMG_0314.JPG

Edited by GNRi1959

Do you mean loco or coach or railcar, Tony?

While it's not cheap, you can get a kit of an AEC railcar fro Worsley. It would need suitable motor, bogies etc.

Posted (edited)

Not really sure what you mean but my intentions are mainly goods. Can't really see how practical it would be to run coaches in this space. However I have a single length of N-gauge track sitting on the window cill of the shed - and every time I glance at it, I start to get mouth-watering ideas about very long goods trains and passenger coaches!

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 1

I think most of us get those notions of long freight and coach trains in so much that we strive to make the largest layout we can. Of course that doesn't always work out for the best as the time, enthusiasm and eagerness to have something to run the trains through doesn't always reach fruition. 

I like the drop in board you've added to the shed, you seem to be planning ahead in the hope of creating that full loop. Seeing the boards on all four sides and knowing your thoughts on what you want to produce I would be seriously considering the N gauge option, particularly if it's a medium that you feel comfortable working with. I'm guessing the biggest stalling issue with N is the availability of Irish based stock whether that is rtr or to kit bash. 

Paul

Did you ever get the feeling when standing at close proximity to your layout boards that 00 gauge is 'too big', lacks the illusion of distance and travel. Just a thought.....

7 minutes ago, GNRi1959 said:

Did you ever get the feeling when standing at close proximity to your layout boards that 00 gauge is 'too big', lacks the illusion of distance and travel. Just a thought.....

Personally quite the opposite, assuming you mean 4mm/00 scale/gauge.  Have you considered using the entire shed for the baseboards and having a dropdown connecting board right inside the shed door, using the centre area as a work bench space? Just a thought, I'm sure there is a good reason. :) 

23 minutes ago, Noel said:

Personally quite the opposite, assuming you mean 4mm/00 scale/gauge.  Have you considered using the entire shed for the baseboards and having a dropdown connecting board right inside the shed door, using the centre area as a work bench space? Just a thought, I'm sure there is a good reason. :) 

Noel, as much as I love model railways I don't think that the 700mm behind the camera position is going to make much difference. Just inside the door on the right is a narrow space of maybe 200mm,  I would be opening the shed door and be partially blocked as I enter even with leave the lift-off section down. It gives me some workshop space to the right and a fiddle yard to the left.

For 1950s, wagons easy enough - use lots of Leslie's vans - but the U, UG or S class really is the only show in town for locos.

Posted (edited)

i’m thinking ahead a bit but I have to scratchbuild a bridge over a river that was just outside the Market Branch in Omagh. I plan on raising my track bed all round by at least 50-60mm to allow two road bridges. The bridge on the other hand may need more of a drop. Is the solution to raise the trackbed and drop below the baseboard frame?

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 1