Newry Dublin Bridge

Rate this topic

Hi all. I am building a 4 mm model of Newry Dublin Bridge Station circa 1958-1965

I was born in Newry in 1957 and lived in and around the town ever since, so this period brings back fond memories of my childhood

The layout features two waterways: the Clanrye River and the Newry Canal, which both run through the centre of the town. Dublin Bridge Station was actually built over the Clanrye river

The trackwork will be a combination of SMP Scaleway with Peco Code 75 points

I have been planning to build this layout for quite some time, so last year I built a shed in the garden dedicated to housing the model. The track will form a continuous loop that will allow for non-stop running, and includes features such as the Newry Canal, Clanrye River, Albert Basin and Dublin Bridge

The dimensions of the layout are approximately 15 ft x 6.5 ft

All the buildings will be scratch-built, and referenced from a range of photographs and drawings that I have of the area. The focal point will be Dublin Bridge Station itself. I have emailed the IRRS to see if they have any drawings of the station building in their archives, but have not as yet received any response

I have posted the following photos showing the progress to date. I will post updates of my progress over the coming months/years

1.20170318_163649.jpg

2.20170318_163701.jpg

3.20170318_163906.jpg

4.20170318_163807.jpg

5.20170318_163826.jpg

7.20170318_163843.jpg

8.20170318_163927.jpg

9.20170318_163636.jpg

10.20170318_160202.jpg

11.20170318_160235.jpg

Hi Thomas & welcome to the site, your shed is very much like my own except of course you have started ! My stuff is in the shed but that's as far as I have got ! so far ! there's lots of guys on here who'll be more than willing to give any info & advice when / if needed, keep the photos / videos coming, well done so far, it's looking good.

Thanks Kirley. I will be hoping to run a mixture of Steam locomotives, GNR/UTA railcars and even Murphy Models 141/181 (Black and Tan) class, which were on the line a few times in its last years. At the minute though I am concentrating more on the layout itself, however I hope to make a few rolling stock acquisitions over the coming months/years

3 or 4 photos in my Flickr GNRI Album may be of use.

hc  Newry__crossing_the_Newry_Canal_at_Buttercrane_Quay_Ex_GNR_UG_UTA_No_49_heads_for_Warrenpoint_ca_1961 is the first

Ernie

Thanks Ernie. Those will be an excellent source of reference, especially the beautiful colour ones

I am still waiting (over 1 month) on the IRRS to respond to my email about the scale drawing of Dublin Bridge Station. Does anyone have a contact in the society that I could email directly or alternatively, know of any other source where I may be able to get the drawings from?

Thanks Ernie. Those will be an excellent source of reference, especially the beautiful colour ones

I am still waiting (over 1 month) on the IRRS to respond to my email about the scale drawing of Dublin Bridge Station. Does anyone have a contact in the society that I could email directly or alternatively, know of any other source where I may be able to get the drawings from?

Alas no. The Architectural Archive in Merrion Square normally houses all the buildings of note, drawings and photos for Ireland, and for some bizarre reason, they lie, inaccessible, in Heuston. R

Thomas

A pity I didn't pick this up last week.

"Multyfarnham" asked for Banbridge info and Richard McLachlan and I dug out quite a roll of station drawings when in the Archive on Thursday. It's on the photography table at Heuston and will get done when Richard is next there.

I'll get my local contact to look for Newry - it's not a five minute job, for even though the drawings are fairly well organised, they take a bit of finding in an archive which has everything from a pin to an anchor, as it were!

Please understand that there is only a finite amount of effort to be put into this sort of work.

Of course, if you're a member, you can always goo and visit on a Tuesday evening - Newry's only an hour away!

Frankly, all the series modellers on this site should be members - we seem to have something about everything in our archive.

Leslie