electra graphics arrived for n gauge

Rate this topic

Peter

Superb stuff. It's about time N gauge got a look into the Irish scene. Many of us have limited room. I live in a town house and I am currently considering whether to have a fairly interesting 009 gauge set up, or a much restricted 00 gauge one. Right now, 00 is winning; shortly I will commence the most difficult part of anything top do with a layout: applying to the Dept. of Domestic matters for funding and planning permission. The most difficult brass kit is child's play in comparison....

At "N" scale, an approximate loco of British 0.6.0 parentage painted plain grey and given a number of a J15 or J18 would be a lot more forgiveable than in 00. The one thing that might sway me in that direction would be an "N" gauge 141, A or C body, plus a suitable chassis to put it on. Like steam locos, SOME British coaches might suit for botching or repainting - the accuracy wouldn't be 100% but with care it might look right.

Any ideas on earlier Irish diesels in N scale?

Thanks Mike. I attempted removing the paint with acetone free polish remover and isopropyl alcohol. Didn't go according to plan. The paint mostly came off, but some was left smudged and a sticky residue remains.

I'll try again tomorrow with a different remover, and failing that, Brasso.

Hi Peter

Mr Muscle Oven works brilliantly, pop the coach body in a plastic bag, spray it with a good coat of MMO and leave it sit for about an hour, take it out and wash it down with a toothbrush. It may need a second go to remove paint in lines and arises. Give it a good clean afterwards- best to use dilute washing soda and rinse in loads of water...

Stay away from acetone! it will do awful damage to soft plastics- you say you got a goo on it? I'd say that's melted plastic

IPA needs a good soaking for about 6 to 12 hours and there is a slight risk of damage to soft plastics again

Only use Brasso for polishing your candlesticks!

Eoin

Hi Peter

I tried Brasso but it did nothing for taking off the paint. I used Nail Varnish Remover Pads made by Pretty and sold by Home Bargains. There were 30 pads in each container I cut each pad into four. I used about 40 full pads on each coach. It was slow about an hour for one side of a coach and very little happened for the first half hour. There was some residue. I used some turps to clean that and then washed the whole side with warm soapy water which was not a great success. I then used more clean pads and got a clean enough side that I could live with. Still a little cloudiness in parts and some paint just would not come off. On mine the cloudiness seemed to be paint stains but if it was the plastic melting it was very slight. It gives the effect of windows not being cleaned.

MikeO

Thanks for the replies lads. I have attached a picture below of my attempt. I started off by using acetone free polish remover on pads. That got most of the paint off, but spread the rest into the plastic. Further scrubbing with the nail polish remover didn't do anything else. Isopropyl alcohol didn't really do anything either. I tried acetone based polish remover then, which did nothing.

I'll give the mister muscle oven a go.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27782[/ATTACH]

Hi Peter

Sorry to hear that did not work out, it removes paint very well for me! Things which may be different- my can of MMO is about 20 years old! I've not stripped a GF coach yet I've only done Hornby n Triang n Bachmann OO stuff!

Did you try it on a 'fresh' coach and not your test one?

Eoin

Edited by murrayec

Peter

I believe that the Brasso works on the older pre-Chinese made coaches. As mine were newer coaches the nail varnish remover pads worked I got about 99.9% of the paint off. What little remained did not affect the adhesion of the vynl sides. If you have the newer coaches I would persevere the nail varnish remover.

MikeO