Shapeways 3D models - anybody else used them?

Rate this topic

Noel

Yes I ve used them a few times, the 201 is terrible but some of the wagons turn out OK with a bit of work. The surfaces need a lot of work as they come pretty rough.

Thanks for info Tom. Which wagons did you feel were 'ok'? Noel

I built an E Class using a Shapways body and also had some parts printed to my own design.

DSCF3179.JPG

The E had a lot of added detail including etched overlays, sprung buffers etc but I still haven't got round to finishing the model

Each material has its advantages and disadvanages

Most 3d printed models need some form of surface preparation the WSF (nylon) used in most 4mm models has no noticeable layers, good surface resolution, downside is a surface texture like smooth sand and cement render or mill scale on steel plate and is best filled with a car spray primer-filler rather than sanding.

White Frosted Detail (plastic) mainly used for N has a smooth surface texture, finer resolution for modelling fine detail like beading, and is sandable. Main disadvantage is layers are noticeable and cost.

Would 3D printing be suitable for a mk4 DVT?

Yes especially if it was done in two separate prints, one vertically for the cab end to avoid 3D stepping on the compound curves, and another horizontally for the rest of the body. Just needs somebody to do the cad drawings! (Says just in jest). Another option could be just the cab end designed to marry with a cut short Bachmann/Hornby BR mk4 coach. BR Mk4s different but closest looking RTR stuff to Irish mk4. 3D replacement coach ends could make a lot of difference (i.e. flat profile + corridor connectors).

N scale 141, E Class, Sulzer and I commissioned the fictitious 'Goldeneye' train.

The level of detail was good on all of them apart from the Sulzer. In fairness the Sulzer was a 5 or 6 years ago and the quality has improved a good bit.

I've bought some bus kits and also some of Richard EH's kits, loco and coach.

Indeed so, and many thanks for doing so! There's a couple of GNRi JT's that have been built from my kit. We've been round the discussion about the quality etc of the materials. As usual, you get what you pay for, generally. The cheaper materials are better for wooden bodied stock, or need overlays/more effort in the finishing. I've been designing for over 5 years now, and love it... just finding the time to do it, is the problem!

However shapeways have/do change their pricing, which largely priced out my 1 piece carriage designs a year or so back, and even the WSF material is quite pricey now, hence I've been reluctant to release much more as it's too expensive!

Cheers for now!

Richard.

I am talking to a designer at the moment via Shapeways. I am told that with the correct materials, finished products can be of a very high quality though I imagine this puts the price up. I know little about Shapeways but a 3d engineering designer is modelling a wagon for me, as we speak, with a view to production. He is coming back to me with a price over the next few days.

Yes, it's all dependent on the effort the designer puts in, and the materials used. The most common material, white strong and flexible, is also the one most criticised. However, it's the most "affordable". A 4mm scale 6 wheel van, modelled as a flat kit, still comes out at around £65-70 when vat and postage are added... and that's without the designers time added in... so at present, it's a labour of love, for sure!

Cheers for now.

Richard.

Thanks for the info Richard. Personally so far I have only tried beat wagons and a 121 body, but keen to hear how others found 3D especially for 00. I wondered why some model bodies are not printed in multiple pieces instead of one, as it may use less material and reduce surface 'stepping' on curved areas of some models. 3D still seems a long way behind injection moulding for quality, but offers reasonable enough quality depending on the design for some models not available as RTR.

I am awaiting feedback from a designer on the feasibility of an 00 gauge 'A class' body in 3D. Not convinced 3D stepping can be minimised on the compound curves of the A class cab roof, nor the cost of using materials suitable for higher resolution prints.

Some interesting 3D prints of Irish Locos

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ED2F7SGHT/cie-e-class-421-oo-scale?optionId=40683661

https://www.shapeways.com/product/TUAAF8NZS/cie-e-class-401-oo-scale?optionId=42307672

https://www.shapeways.com/product/PZZCYVXM6/cie-b-class-sulzer-locomotive-oo-scale?optionId=42321334

https://www.shapeways.com/product/S3QTQFYCT/irish-railways-121-class?optionId=57420082

E 421 class

710x528_3748818_72480_1459323267.jpg

E 401 class

710x528_3884092_121089_1459325160.jpg

Sulzer B113 - Looks like curves would need a lot of filing and rubbing down!

710x528_4004189_171412_1459305222.jpg

121 class

710x528_10231895_6996364_1453291709.jpg

Beet wagon

710x528_3782799_88771_1459323732.jpg

Double beet wagon

710x528_3734990_65559_1459323053.jpg

N gauge C class

710x528_185270_61693_1459302812.jpg

Edited by Noel

I am awaiting feedback from a designer on the feasibility of an 00 gauge 'A class' body in 3D. Not convinced 3D stepping can be minimised on the compound curves of the A class cab roof, nor the cost of using materials suitable for higher resolution prints.

Great news Noel! One less project IRM would have to fund with a view to doing a high quality, RTR bells and whistles model from China! :)

Great news Noel! One less project IRM would have to fund with a view to doing a high quality, RTR bells and whistles model from China! :)

Hi Fran. For now I would view 3D merely as a 'holding exercise'. :) It would never compare with the quality of what you guys or MM could produce. Noel

You'll need to do the wagon in this original livery. :P

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28024[/ATTACH]

Very funny! Seplling is not my storng piont. :) Combine with Lexdysia and its a precipice for verbal unreasoning. :) :)

Below is the closest they have to Black'n'Tan livery headfones

MJXX2?wid=445&hei=445&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp&.v=hdmlN0