Re MK 3,s.

Rate this topic

Guest hidden-agenda

We'd be lucky if they kept inchicore at this stage Seamus. They'll all be turned to razor blades.

And as for Mark IIIs and 201s being a dream combo? You're almost there, just swap the soulless overweight brick for an 071 and you're there!

Hey! The 201s do have soul! The 071s look better with the mk2s and that's what I'll be mainly putting then with on my layout :)

Ah no. Give me the roar of a B201 climbing the bank from Dún Laoghaire to Dalkey in notch 8 with a heavy suburban train.

Its funny fast forward to 30 years to present day Auckland rebuilt 1st generation GM export units being worked to death on Push Pull suburban trains.

t's disapointing news but inevitable.

The Mk3 would easily be good enough for many years more service but are now surplus to requirments. Just like the 201's they are yet another under utilised asset, never realising it's full potential due to a lack of focus on IE's part, a fascination for going off buying bespoke toys, and the times we are currently living in. I do wonder why they have been kept in storage for so many years after withdrawl from service. I am only guessing that IE had something else in mind for the Mk3s (selling them off or whatever) and those plans never came to pass.

Some would blame the introduction of railcars for their demise. The ease of swiching direction, cheaper running costs, etc... would probably made it happen eventually anyway. I actually quite like the 22Ks and find them far supirior to alot of the old coaching stock that had been running up until recent years. That said, it's the waste of it all and the lack of making the most of what IE have that gets me. You only have to look at Mayners video above to see what can be done with refurbished stock. 30 years old they may be but still working and providing a service. Nothing's gonna happen now so it's all academic.... But I do hope there will be a few kept for preservation, they are still part of Irelands transport heritage.

OK rant over

Tom

IE had to be seen to be getting the best return possible for the MK3s before disposing of them for scrap. I think IE invited submissions of interest before they were withdrawn and more earlier this year. It may have been a bit like the West Clare Diesels the asking price was too low.

I Can't understand why the RPSI won't take a rake for there will come a day when 201's and 071's will be preserved and will need something nice to pull behind them besides those God awful green Mk's

Well there are a couple of reasons, they are air braked meaning the only thing that could pull them are a 141, the is not the space or man power to take on another running set, they have air-conditioning that does not like periods of non use, they need overhaul work and they cost money to buy.

They should have taken a rake ages ago. I think they such a bad condition now that it would be very hard to restore them :(

They needed major work when they were withdrawn.

Edited by snapper

They should have taken a rake ages ago. I think they such a bad condition now that it would be very hard to restore them :(

there is still a few decent looking ones in storage in the north wall freight depot-including a push pull. dont know about the inside though!