Greetings from Ballymena

Rate this topic

PaulC

Hello from Ballymena. Just a short introduction to anyone who is remotely interested. :)My name is Paul, almost 42 and from Ballymena. I've been beavering away for the last three years creating a OO layout in my loft called Galgorm Hall documenting its progress on the New Railway Modeller forum. At Christmas I had an epiphany - it was rubbish! The track plan didn't work, the track had been poorly laid and I wasn't enjoying being a part of it anymore. Up it came and a blank canvass was created.

Galgorm Hall Mk2 is now being based on the Ballymena station circa 1960's. I've been using OS maps to create a representation of the tracks as they looked then and aim to build the signal box, old Berkeley Dean Wise designed station building and perhaps the old engine shed.

I'm also trying to get a model railway club off the ground in the town. It's proving a slow burner but between four of us we have just completed basedboard construction for a 12'x8' modular OO layout.

As part of my ongoing reasearch for my own layout I stumbled upon Irish Railway Modeller and thought I should really join a community on my doorstep. I'm looking forward to having a good browse round the forum to see what others are up to and hopefully learn a thing or two about Irish rail transport - I know diddly squat!

If anyone else is from my neck of the woods I'd be delighted to hear from you. If you aren't, I'm still delighted. :tumbsup:

Time to go forum browsing.

Paul

Welcome to this Forum. Hopefully you will find it to be inspirational. If you are aware of the RM Web site well and good. If not I suggest you visit it and head for the Irish section. Have a look at Mr. Colm Flanagan's model of Coltrane. Also Cookstown Junction which in both real and Model Terms are no longer with us.

Happy modelling,

Thanks for the welcome chaps. In answer to a couple of questions, I have plenty of photos of the old layout build but only some very dull timber work photos of the new one. Once I'm settled in I'll get a thread up and running on the layouts section.

Not sure what the forum protocol is for posting. Do you prefer a link to an outside photo hosting site or do you post directly here.

Old Blarney, I'm aware of RMWeb but it's a site I'm rarely ever on. I wasn't aware of their Irish section either so I must take a gander at that.

Paul

Hi Paul & welcome to the site, lots of help & info on here from all sorts, seen as you have already got going on your 2nd layout, ( lucky devil ) we'd all like photos !! mind me asking what era, time are you if you are going to plan for, & diesel or steam, & what size are you planning for, & at 42yrs your only a nipper... you've got lots if time....enjoy

Regards

BTB

BTB, in answer to a couple of your questions, I am working at a mid 60's themed layout to allow for that transition between steam and diesel. I've always had a thing for all those early BR diesels so the layout will see a lot of those running. Having spent time researching my local station I've seen a lot of NIR stock and would now like to have a go at modelling some of them too.

Therefore, the plan is to have a relatively nondescript scenic background to enable me to operate whatever stock I want when I want. I'm working in the loft with a current footprint for the plan of 2' wide boards running a length of 14' down each side of the loft with a 6'x1' connecting board at each end. There may be options in the distant future to expand further in to the main floorspace but for now there is plenty to work with.

Rather than post photos here I'm going to launch a layout build thread instead and begin posting there.

Off to do that now. :tumbsup:

Paul

Not sure what the forum protocol is for posting. Do you prefer a link to an outside photo hosting site or do you post directly here.

Paul

I would suggest that you upload any photos by checking the 'store a local copy' checkbox when you upload to the forum. I have subscribed to (bookmarked) a number of very useful threads only to return later to find that resource devoid of photos if the external link is moved or renamed.

Edited by DiveController

Thanks for the welcome chaps. In answer to a couple of questions, I have plenty of photos of the old layout build but only some very dull timber work photos of the new one. Once I'm settled in I'll get a thread up and running on the layouts section.

Old Blarney, I'm aware of RMWeb but it's a site I'm rarely ever on. I wasn't aware of their Irish section either so I must take a gander at that.

Paul

This is the link for RM Web's Irish Page:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/183-irish-railways-group/

• 2 weeks later...

Colin, I won't rule it out entirely but I'd ask you not to hold your breath either! :ROFL:

I'm actually more persuaded by the inclusion of a tram system. A proposal was made for one linking the main station with outlying villages as far as Portglenone.

Paul