GVS and Adelaide lookalike

Rate this topic

201bhoy

Having been concentrating on rolling stock and locomotives recently,I finally managed to fit in some more work on Great Victoria Street station.The following 2 pictures show different angles of the customs hall at GVSt and the small sloping corrugated roof.The customs hall was directly behind the buffers at platform 2 and was in that bright (or vile) yellow and white panels.When the Enterprise was in platform 2,the large double yellow doors would be open for customs checks,but at any other time they remained closed and the the side gate would be used for any local trains using platform 2.On the concourse between platforms 3 and 4,the small sloping corrugated roof going back towards the entrance kiosk can be seen.The kiosk along with some station staff and passengers has been modelled just now,as most of this area will only be seen from eye level from the platforms once the overall roof is in place.

GVSt customs hall.jpg

GVSt customs hall 2.jpg

Edited by Hunslet 102

Really enjoying seeing this layout, as i am nowhere near old enough to remember the era depicted, and it is a real history lesson as well as a fabulous model! I never knew they had customs at GVS, was it the same at Connolly?

Really enjoying seeing this layout, as i am nowhere near old enough to remember the era depicted, and it is a real history lesson as well as a fabulous model! I never knew they had customs at GVS, was it the same at Connolly?

As far as I remember, there were customs checks at both GVS and Amiens St / Connolly for the non-stop 'Enterprise' services, while the stopping services were examined at Dundalk and Goraghwood. After Goraghwood closed in the mid-1960s I presume that the customs was moved to Portadown and then back to Newry when that station re-opened in 1984.

I travelled to and from Belfast quite often in the late 70s / early 80s. For passengers leaving Up stopping trains at Dundalk the customs officers had tables set up un the platform. The up platform was separated from the rest of the station by a fence and after clearing customs and immigration, one exited 'into the Republic' through the gate at the foot of the footbridge ramp.

However, for passengers travelling on to points further south the check, more often than not, consisted of a cursory walk through the train by one of the customs officers. Sometimes, usually around Christmas, or if someone had a lot of shopping bags, there might be a quick examination of the goods but people were adept at stashing the majorty of their dutiable purchases! I, on the other hand have no great recollection of the Northern customs. Presumably as most people travelled north to shop the were much fewer items to be checked.

There was also customs facilities at Central when it opened after the closure of GVSt.As josefstadt confirmed,there was customs checks at Connolly for the non stop Enterprise,again comprising of tables on the platform.Portadown was used for the stopping trains heading north,which meant no further checks were made on arrival in Belfast.All customs checks ceased at the beginning of 1993.

Thanks also for the comments guys on the layout. :tumbsup:

Edited by Hunslet 102

While going through some old photo's I was deleting,I came across these couple of photo's taken of the layout some time ago.It is amazing how you can forget about some things,as the blue Hunslet is now one of the maroon Hunslets and the MIR 071 has now been retired.The MK3 coaches are also no longer part of the layout,as with switching to the earlier 70s era I no longer required them,so gave them away to a pal.The fertilizer wagons,to my shame,still remain as 2 complete,3 still to be finished and 2 still to be started,where does the time go.Anyway,the photo's just squeeze into the late 70s.

SA400317.jpg

SA400321.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update of a bit more progress with the station.The following photo shows the column supports and some roof supports for the roof over platform 2 in place.The rest of the roof supports for platform 2 are still to be finished and then a start will be made on the roof supports over platforms 3 and 4.Very time consuming and patience testing doing the roof supports,but is certainly worth the effort.

Column and roof supports.jpg

Thanks guys.The columns are made from wedding cake pillars that have been model bashed to the correct profile,with cut down Hornby canopy supports attached to form the supports.Evergreen I beam has been attached between each support to get the right length between each column.The work involved in that plus the roof supports was probably best described by Kieran-tedious,but hopefully will be worth it in the end.

Nice to see someone taking non modelling items and using ingenuity turning them into models! :tumbsup:

Some good model architectural modelling there.

Thanks Moogle,sometimes you have to think outside the box when modelling! When I set out to do the columns,I was amazed that there was nothing available from the railway manufactures,especially when you look at the architecture on many stations all over Britain and Ireland.

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally finished the roof over platform 2 on Great Victoria Street station,so below are a few different photo's from the build.The first photo shows an aerial shot of the overall roof.

GVSt platform 2 roof.jpg

The following photo has been taken from the end of platform 2 looking towards the custom shed.

GVSt platform 2 front view.jpg

The final photo has been taken from platform 4 and shows the NIR Hunslet Enterprise in platform 2,partly hidden by the customs fence that divided platforms 2 and 3.

GVSt platform2 with Hunslet.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally got round to completing the roof over platforms 3 and 4 on Great Victoria Street,below are some images from different angles.The first image shows an overall shot of the 2 roofs over the platforms.

GVSt double track roof.jpg

The following photo shows a view of the underside of the roof,the missing panels can be clearly seen,a common sight in the early 70s in GVSt due to bomb damage.

GVSt double roof upper view.jpg

The next photo shows a side view from platform 4,with an 80 class sitting in platform 4,an MED railcar in platform 3 and the Hunslet Enterprise in platform 2,a common scene from the station between late 1974,when the 80 class arrived,and mid 1976,when Great Victoria Street closed.

GVSt double roof side view.jpg

The final image shows the same trains in the platforms,this time taken from the bottom of platforms 2/3 looking back towards the customs hall and entrance barriers.

GVSt double roof end.jpg

Andy your patience has paid off, well done with the roof.

Pictures 2 & 3 capture the feel of the old place for me.

Many thanks Kieran,to hear that the model has captured the feel of the old Great Victoria Street station from someone who remembers the old station is both humbling and encouraging.

Quick update,or should it be backdate with a scene from the 70s.This time it is 1972,with the following photo again taken from platform 4 showing a double ended BUT railcar arriving in platform 4 with a train from Portadown.Waiting to depart from platform 3 to Lisburn is another BUT railcar,this one being the single ended version.Over in platform 2,the CIE Enterprise has recently arrived in the hands of B class loco number B165.

side view BUTs and 141.jpg

The following photo is from the same photographer,this time taken from the end of the platforms.

end view of BUTs .jpg

Thanks Ivor and JHB for your comments,glad the layout shots brought back some memories for you.Creosote mixed with the smell from Murray's tobacco factory,GVSt was certainly a unique station.Ah the day trips Ivor,that was our holidays back then,a fortnight in the sun still had to be invented!

UP6936-the layout is dc operated,more than adequate for the size of the layout.