Timber Wagons

Rate this question

Kirley

Question

I wonder if anyone has drawings of the 6'2" Timber Wagons for a future project. The only drawings I've seen has been the 47' 6" wagons?

IMG_4361.JPG

I did some Timber wagons years ago using the Hornby Railroad Liner wagons but some have warped.

201012-08BogieWagons-ContainerTimber414.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

14 answers to this question

First time capriciousness was used in anger on the forum K

Capricious is an adjective to describe a person or thing that's impulsive and unpredictable, like a bride who suddenly leaves her groom standing at the wedding altar. You can criticize a fickle-minded person as capricious, but it could just as well describe quickly changing weather, as in "capricious spring storms."

Kirley,

Have you had a look at the Gaugemaster site. They are advertising Piko 58900 for sale. They are HO wagons and are a good representation of the IE timber Wagons.

Regards,

David.

I have to disagree with you there. I see the timber wagons on a weekly basis and the Piko models have barely a passing resemblance, as well as being HO. I think we are beyond the days of HO models passing as prototype Irish rolling stock.

Rich,

I'd agree with the H0 business. The days of passing off should be well and truly behind us, but sometimes there's no alternative. My only practical concern with that wagon is the length of it. I built a talgo pocket wagon from scratch some years ago, and it's the same size. The overhang on small radius track was considerable, and if the wagon was in anyway top heavy, she'd get pulled off the track and fall over. I suppose some of Leslie's style lead shot would work to keep a low centre of gravity, though.

Lastly, those wagons also had continental bogies along with the heavy duty sambre et meuse, the former being readily available, though they are being phased out on the networks on the island.

HTH

R.

P.s - we all have our moments - In a former life I once sent a letter to an archbishop explaining the fire alarm system when using incense. "Once you push the button in the Sanctuary, it will disable the fire alarm system, such that you may carry out incest related operations without interference".... Twas caught before it left, thankfully.... :rolleyes:

I have to disagree with you there. I see the timber wagons on a weekly basis and the Piko models have barely a passing resemblance, as well as being HO. I think we are beyond the days of HO models passing as prototype Irish rolling stock.

Rich,

Well. That's me put firmly back in my box.

Thanks Guys for your comments. David I know the Piko wagon has been used by many to represent the current Timber Wagons.

276788_e.jpg

It is 57' 6" scale length and has 16 stanchions instead of 10. I suppose you could extend the body and rebuild the top deck but it looks a lot of work but it's worth considering.

Meanwhile I have down loaded the drawing of the 62'9" container wagon from the Freight Section but I'm having difficulty in making out the measurements. When I enlarge the drawing the numbers go blurry.

Can any sharp eyed reader tell me please help me with the following distances:

Over Buffers

Over Headstock

Over Containers (Deck)

Bogie Centres

Also where can I get more information on these wagons, my Oliver Doyle book of '87 only refers to Flat bogie Wagons Series 30501 -30540?

Well. That's me put firmly back in my box.

It has also been pointed out by other posters how unlike the Irish prototype the Piko wagons are. If you jump into your box every time someone disagrees with you, then you might find yourself spending too much time in there, and it won't do you any good. It was only a difference of opinion.

Rich,

Thanks Guys for your comments. David I know the Piko wagon has been used by many to represent the current Timber Wagons.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27918[/ATTACH]

It is 57' 6" scale length and has 16 stanchions instead of 10. I suppose you could extend the body and rebuild the top deck but it looks a lot of work but it's worth considering.

Meanwhile I have down loaded the drawing of the 62'9" container wagon from the Freight Section but I'm having difficulty in making out the measurements. When I enlarge the drawing the numbers go blurry.

Can any sharp eyed reader tell me please help me with the following distances:

Over Buffers

Over Headstock

Over Containers (Deck)

Bogie Centres

Also where can I get more information on these wagons, my Oliver Doyle book of '87 only refers to Flat bogie Wagons Series 30501 -30540?

2438mm (32.0mm) deck width

20360mm over buffers (268.5mm)

19140mm over headstocks (251.2mm)

There's nothing in either the first or second editions of H&D, and I can't find my ITG book at the minute. :(

R

14141mm bogie centres (185.6mm)

2438mm (32.0mm) deck width

20360mm over buffers (268.5mm)

19140mm over headstocks (251.2mm)

There's nothing in either the first or second editions of H&D, and I can't find my ITG book at the minute. :(

R

14141mm bogie centres (185.6mm)

The timber wagons were converted from 30501 -30540 bogie container flats during the mid 1990s

When the Sligo timber flow ceased in 2008 8(?) timber wagons had their stanchions removed & have since returned to PW use. There was a trial carried out on a 42ft flat some years back with timber stanchions attached having been removed from the 4 wheel flats which went for scrap, but AFAIK it never entered service, or even trials. The stanchions have since been removed & the wagon is back working liner trains.