Irish Rail loading gauge and other dimensions

Rate this question

Colin R

Question

Hi all

Sorry if this has been asked before, but where would I find the loading gauge for the different part's of the Irish broad gauge railway system, I have the various narrow gauge ones, but not the broad gauge version.

Something else which bothers me is how many of the Irish Railway coaches had straight sides? I can see that some had a tumblehome but others where straight.

I might as well get this one out of the way as well, I know the different parts of the CIE had their own track arrangements, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me which companies used 2, 3 or 4 hole fixings for rail chairs and different rail lengths and weights.

Regards

Colin

Edited by Colin R

3 answers to this question

Thanks Hurricane for the heads up that is most useful.

I read somewhere that when they moved the Queen to Cultra it would not fit under some of the bridges due to the GNRI smaller loading gauge, so I am hoping that if I use the current version I will beable to run just about anything I want, thanks once again.

Thanks Hurricane for the heads up that is most useful.

I read somewhere that when they moved the Queen to Cultra it would not fit under some of the bridges due to the GNRI smaller loading gauge, so I am hoping that if I use the current version I will beable to run just about anything I want, thanks once again.

I do recall that, and also that she was too heavy for the Boyne viaduct. However that kind of historical data is beyond me! Hopefully the current gauge will help you