IRM Ballast Wagons

Rate this topic

Noel

Rich Divisio an American modeller was one of the first people to recommend it for weathering. He had used,

Raw umber

Burnt umber

Raw sienna

Burnt sienna

Oranage lake deep

These colours were used specifically for rusting effects. There are many more that have uses for railways. It is water based and can be cleaned off and you can start again without ruining the model until you hit on a finish and technique you are happy with. A lot of people on the weathering groups in the US have given up on airbrushing for all but re spraying or kit painting, and are using powders, inks, gouache, some are using oil based paints also. Military modellers use all the earthy colours and the finished models look amazing. Give it a go it's always nice to learn other technique's to improve your skills rather than tying yourself to one way. A 14ml tube should not cost more than 5 euros and will last years.

Rich,

Mine finally arrived today :)

We've all seen how fantastic the models are but also a mention to the beautiful packaging! The boxes look really great, nice and solid too!

Finally! Someone appreciates my efforts! :)

Enjoy your wagons!

Edited by Garfield

Finally! Someone appreciates my efforts! :)

May 10th - They are stunningly exquisite, hyper detailed, beautifully finished, very tastefully packaged . . .Well done team IRM - Stephen, Fran, Patrick and Richie.

You packaging work was appreciated and mentioned some weeks ago. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have finally received mine, in the sense that I have arrived at where I had them delivered to.

A few points come to mind.

1, The brakes seem to be seized in the off position.

2, The ballast delivery gates are stuck shut - I was hoping to automate the brakes and the gates via DCC control.

3, There seems to have been little thought given to fitting smoke units which could be used to simulate the dust from filling operations.

Other than these points, they seem quite good - and the boxes are OK, too.

Keep up the good work.

:x

• 1 month later...

We haven't been near this thread recently, and apologies for that!

As you may have probably seen elsewhere, our ballast wagons have sold really rather well, and we can only thank you all for supporting this project with your purchases. We still have some packs of A, B and C left, but they are walking out the doors at a steady pace and will be gone soon enough.

We really enjoy those of you who have sent us videos of the wagons in action on your layouts, and would love to see more, and or pictures that we can share on here and indeed our Facebook page. Eamonn Redmond kindly sent this one of the wagons in action on his superb new layout.

[video=youtube;2bz4DPLz-Qg]

We will be at the Stillorgan fair this Sunday with some for sale. Of course, you can also buy remaining stock at http://www.irishrailwaymodels.com/shop :)

Are there any videos of the actual prototype ballast wagons laying and spreading ballast with ploughs? (I.e. As opposed to being in transit). Never seen a video that shows how they were operated.

Noel not sure how to post the link to the video but check out Eiretrains.com in the videos section.Nice footage of one working on there.

Nice one Richie I was only down there about six weeks ago. We were out visiting my brother in law in Mooncoin and decided to go for a walk. We went down Chapel Street to the Grange road and walked as far as the crossing. My Dads a Mooncoin Man and used to take the train into Waterford from Grange, collect my Mother (when they were courting his word not mine) and walk to Railway Square to catch the Tramore train before he bought a car. He had a Triumph motor bike but my Mother wasn't having any of it. It's a lovely scenic line. Nice to see 084 she must have been one of the last to remain in the IE orange livery. Shows how great the models are also when watching the real thing.

Rich,

Thanks Patrick but its rather brief and needs a telescope! :) There must be some close up videos like the UK ones of plough vans and ballast wagons at work on CIE/IR rails.

I'd imagine H&S and night time ballast dropping would have prevented such close filming taking place on a regular basis Noel. The above video is excellent and the best I've seen of the operation.

• 3 weeks later...

As you can probably appreciate, it's been a insanely busy period for us Irish Railway Models folk. So much so that I hadn't actually got to play with my own set of ballasts and give them a run!

I managed to rectify that a little when i paid a visit to my good friend Bren to have the craic as always and was able to give them a good long run. Apologies for the bang average video but I thought I'd capture a bit of the fun!

[video=youtube;5d6-S2qkpSA]

Remember, you can still order packs of ballasts online and we will have some at the October show for sale too! http://www.irishrailwaymodels.com/shop

Nice video that's shows the wagons off well. Nothing beats the fun and enjoyment of operating model trains on a spectacular layout. The 12 ballasts look really great in that scenery. Mind you Wrenneire had 18 IRM ballasts on his video, and I had 20 IRM ballasts on a kingsbridge video a few months ago. :) IRM might sponsor a competition for the longest video rake!!! (I jest)

Nice video that's shows the wagons off well. Nothing beats the fun and enjoyment of operating model trains on a spectacular layout. The 12 ballasts look really great in that scenery. Mind you Wrenneire had 18 IRM ballasts on his video, and I had 20 IRM ballasts on a kingsbridge video a few months ago. :) IRM might sponsor a competition for the longest video rake!!! (I jest)

2 Locos, 2 Ploughs and 18 wagons :trains:

2 Locos, 2 Ploughs and 18 wagons :trains:

Dave I graciously concede to the superior prototypical authenticity of your rake properly punctuated with two ploughs

worthy.gif

Updated short video! :) 2 Locos, 20 IRM ballast wagons, NO Ploughs, 2 brake vans! parapet.gif

. . . can't wait for the Cement Bubbles hyper.gif

• 11 months later...

IRM Ballasts underwent some enjoyable Kadee shunting and uncoupling trails today.  And it was a success. Short video clip below.

Because occasionally I like to run, shunt and marshal these lovely wagons with other Kadee fitted stock, I have glued Kadee No 18 NEM couplings to the underside of the NEM pockets rather than into the NEM pockets. This gives a more correct height for activating uncoupling using the Kadee trip pin over uncoupling magnets.

PS: Mods, for completeness in a few days time I'll also post this clip to my Kadee conversion thread.