Cie steam book

Rate this topic

Colin R

Hi all

Looking through my Irish railway book collection I notice I don't have 'that book' every CIE steam loco fan has on his bookshelf, IE the one with all the facts and figures and line drawings of the different steam locos from the different companies. :)

I guess it does not exist, but I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of any other suitable books which may cover some of this same information.

Colin

The epic tome of Michael McMahons's and Jeremy Clements is the thing to have. The RPSI still has one copy left.

This is the absolutely definitive dictionary for GSR / CIE steam. It's bulky, but worth every cent.

Having been through it many times in detail, all I would say is that it's a pity there's no index, and that the rather excellent cover and rear pictures, plus a note in the text, telling us that grey locos had black smokeboxes, and (somewhat bizarrely) black numberplates with red letters, is incorrect.

Tiny criticisms, but otherwise an absolute "must-have".

Drew Donaldson, Bob Clements and Jack O'Neill produced a slimmer volume in the 1970s based on their personal, and encyclopaediacally correct, experiences of such locos as were surviving in use into the 1950s and 60s. Also a fascinating read. It's long, long out of print, but I think the RPSI has a copy it's second hand stuff.

Ah just found another one called LOCOMOTIVES OF THE GREAT SOUTHERN RAILWAYS OF IRELAND by Arthur Stockwell pub 1937 1st ed via of all places Amazon.

As it is an old books from that period (1937) it might have information which does not always get passed on this day and age.

Will keep you guys updated.

Above book locomotives of the GSR and the sister book on LMS NCC now ordered as well.

Edited by Colin R

Sitting down and trying to catch up with all this e mail stuff when I got a call from the very nice man from Whitehead RPSI.

5 minutes later and the book has been purchased and I have just supported the RPSI, feeling good and can't wait for the book to turn up.

GSR book turned up today so now I am looking for three locomotive classes the Kerry Bogie, class 52 and finally the class 60.

One other loco type which I think is worth modelling and that is the class 47 0-4-4T I am sure I have seen some drawings of them somewhere.

GSR book turned up today so now I am looking for three locomotive classes the Kerry Bogie, class 52 and finally the class 60.

One other loco type which I think is worth modelling and that is the class 47 0-4-4T I am sure I have seen some drawings of them somewhere.

An extremely worthwhile periodical to read is Alan O'Rourke's twice-yearly "New Irish Lines", recent issues of which have contained a very great array of 4mm drawings of GSR / CIE steam locos.