Works in Limerick

Rate this topic

They talk about the "complexity" of the (signalling) arrangements at Limerick.

Ye gods!!!!! Are these bulletin writers more on the level of clockwork train sets?

Jhb171senior, jhb171pre-senior, Bob Clements, Drew Donaldson, Kevin Murray, Harold Houston and their ilk would spin in their graves.

They are closing Limerick station Cabin and Check Cabin and merging them into a single computer based control system to be located in one of the old offices, which will presumably be relocated to the new signalling center to be based in Heuston at a later date. Platform 3 is to be straitened out and relayed and I believe they will be demolishing check cabin. There is no provision for Foynes or Castlemungret in the works but there is also barriers to adding them later if required. They are also planning work on the Shannon bridge in Limerick.

You're saying that there are barriers to reopening Foynes, or not?

I would not be one bit surprised if IE did something was fine to prevent any reopening!

Currently Foynes and Castlemungret are disconnected at Limerick Check and have been for some time, to reopen you would need new points and signalling (not to mention a complete relay of the line). After these works you would still need new points and new signalling just controlled from a different place.

So instead of the new points and signals being mechanical they would now need to be digitally controlled effectively.. is there any effect on the wagon works, gantry siding or storage sidings on the approaches to the station or will all of these be resignalled?

So instead of the new points and signals being mechanical they would now need to be digitally controlled effectively.

Thats pretty much it

is there any effect on the wagon works, gantry siding or storage sidings on the approaches to the station or will all of these be resignalled?

As far as I know the layout will remain the same with the exception of straightening platform 3. The signals are being replaced with new led heads but the positioning should be the same.

Hi thanks for that, I happen to know a guy who is into his signalling big time and I also need to make sure that when I do get around to it, I signal my layout correctly with the right style of signal arms, as I don't have a clue at the moment as to what I should be looking for in Irish railway signal arms.

Colin