GSR/CIE TPO Stock

Rate this question

Colin R

Question

Hi Guys

Just acquired a Hornby post office TPO Coach and I was wondering are there any photos or details of any GSR/CIE TPO stock from the 1940 to 1960's period which could be posted on here?

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for all the questions.

Colin

3 answers to this question

Wow thanks for that, and here I am thinking it can't be that hard to convert it, how wrong can you be.

Just as a follow up question, does anyone have details of all the routes of the old mail trains in Ireland? and did any go through claremorris?

Colin

Wow thanks for that, and here I am thinking it can't be that hard to convert it, how wrong can you be.

Just as a follow up question, does anyone have details of all the routes of the old mail trains in Ireland? and did any go through claremorris?

Colin

Most of the main lines had scheduled mail services, though TPOs only ran on certain routes, principally Dublin-Cork and Dublin-Galway.

For many years Mayo mails were carried on a Night Mail train that connected with the Galway Mail at Athlone, Sligo-Limerick and later Ballina-Limerick trains carried mail in the guards compartment.

CIE also had bogie TPOs similar in general outline to the Hornby model and even picked up and dropped mail bags at speed on the Cork line into the 1970s

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1