ScaleFour Society

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

I was thinking about taking out membership to the Scalefour Society where I would like to explore the exciting world of Irish broad gauge and P4 standards. There are also a wealth of folk with special interest in Irish. However, on looking at pricing, availability etc I'm not sure its a good idea.

Edited by TonyMcGartland

I've just taken out membership to the Scalefour Society where I would like to explore the exciting world of Irish broad gauge and P4 standards. There are also a wealth of folk with special interest in Irish.

while I model in 00-SF, I am also a member now for three years. The forum is specially good. Welcome

Dave

I was thinking about taking out membership to the Scalefour Society where I would like to explore the exciting world of Irish broad gauge and P4 standards. There are also a wealth of folk with special interest in Irish. However, on looking at pricing, availability etc I'm not sure its a good idea.

The time available and whether you prefer building models or running models are probably the biggest factors in deciding to work in 21mm gauge or OO.

I have been working in 21mm to the slightly coarser EM standard for about 30 years but still have not had the time of space to build a layout

P4 is probably a better option than EM standards for steam locos like GNR 4-4-0s on account of tight clearances between wheels, though its nearly as difficult to get these engines to run satisfactorily in OO, much simpler to keep to diesels.

It would be worth while contacting the South Dublin Model Railway Club to get an idea of whats involved in building in 21mm gauge to P4 standards.

They built a model of Beltubet to P4 standards and are the custodians of Tony Mills Adavadoyle a P4 GNR Main Line layout featuring a large junction station.