GNR(i) Guinness Van

Rate this question

Colin R

Question

Hi all, I have just come across one of a number of drawings which I had though I had lost, I am sure I have others but can't find them at the moment.

The question I have is:- has anyone produced a RTR model of the Guinness vans? I think someone once produced a freelance version based on a UK OO scale van body, but I can't recall the details

Help please?

Colin

7 answers to this question

Cheers Tony, I had wondered that to be honest, I have found a drawing of the standard GNRi 16ft 11inch wagon chassis, I am in two mines at the moment about what to do with it.

Do I ask Worsley Works if they can do an etch of the chassis or do I try and make some out of resin myself? I could if I have a better computer try doing them in 3D Print and making a master of it to then do more in resin.

Either way the drawing I have is OK but is not to a scale I reckonise, all the dimensions are there but it is not in a position to just cut and paste on a computer.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

Colin

Myself and others have found that if you are wanting to replicate a wooden bodied wagon or a wooden underframe then the best way to go about it is through the use of plastic, resin, wood or whitemetal. This is because if you are using sheet metal or metal sections, it just simply would not be able to accurately represent what you want it to look like. And whilst it would be ok for steel underframes or metal bodies stock, it just won't capture the chunkiness quite as good. However despite me saying this, it is not impossible and some manufactures do indeed do this and the results can be quite good, examples can be found in the bill Bedford range and also D&S models.

Having had another look at the drawing, I think the plan will be to make up a pattern in say micro strip and then cast some off in resin.

Speaking of which, has anyone got any experience of using resin? the reason I ask is that in White metal you are supposed to allow so much for shrinkage but I am not sure when dealing with resin.

Colin

Hi

Polyurethane chemical mix shrinks, on short chunky and small stuff its not noticeable, but on a long thin item say DART floor which is 1mm thick by 264mm long, it shrinks about 1mm+ over its length. If you make moulds for all the wagon parts shrinkage wont matter....

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
oops! 264mm long not 164mm!