Class 80 guidance

Rate this question

PaulC

Question

One of the reasons I joined this forum was to tap in to the vast resource of information available from fellow forumers on Irish Railways.

To that end I have a couple of questions to pose. I want to produce a Class 80 train in the maroon(?) and blue livery of the late 70's. I've had a browse through the forum but haven't quite got my answers so hence the thread. Apologies for any repitition of requested advice that has gone before.

What are suitable donor coaching stock and engine stock to produce such a train? Do they require much modification other than a repaint and decal application? If they do, where can I go to find the relevant info to do these modifications? Is there a thread or member who has produced a step by step guide on one of these conversions in the past?

Any and all information will be gratefully received.

Paul

7 answers to this question

All the original 80 Class vehicles were built using Mk2c coach design. Some later intermediate and driving trailer coaches were converted from Mk2b coaches. Mk2a coaches were never used for 80 Class vehicles.

It depends how accurate you want to be when building an 80 Class, but if you want to be accurate, the Lima Mk2b 2nd class coach is the only vehicle suitable as a donor vehicle for conversion for any of the three 80 Class vehicles. The passenger window spacing on the brake vehicle is incorrect for converting to a power car, and the 1st class coach window spacing is incorrect for any of the 80 Class vehicles. I am not sure if Bachmann produce any Mk2b or c vehicles.

To produce the 80 Class power car requires major surgery, regardless of what donor vehicle is used.

Power car.jpg

Driving trailer.jpg

Intermediate.jpg

Edited by Dhu Varren

Hi PaulC

Here are a few links to what your looking for, the second one is the full story;-

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/2047-NIR-80-class?p=30885&viewfull=1#post30885

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/2345-NIR-80-Class-DEMU?p=34604&viewfull=1#post34604

The best way I find stuff on the forum is do a Google search and check the photos that come up and then follow the link using the photo, if you hover the mouse over the photo you'll see where it's going to lead you to....

Eoin

Excellent results chaps. Every one of those responses has proved invaluable and just what I was looking for. 33Lima's photographic guide is a little daunting to me but the end result is just so exquisite I'm going to have to take a go at producing one.

Off to eBay now to look up some suitable donors. Please avoid bidding on Mk2 coaches for the next week or two. :-bd

Paul

All the original 80 Class vehicles were built using Mk2c coach design. Some later intermediate and driving trailer coaches were converted from Mk2b coaches. Mk2a coaches were never used for 80 Class vehicles.

I am not sure if Bachmann produce any Mk2b or c vehicles.

Thanks. I knew they weren't all the same but couldn't quite remember what got converted from what, especially regarding NIR's forced buying strategy. It doesn't help with the mods required for suburban use (centre doors being deleted from the 2B design)

Bachmann only produce Mk2Z / Mk2A at present