Rate this topic

Kilkenny

Hello everyone. I hope to keep updating this thread with progress on my layout. The layout I'm building is currently about 13 feet x 9 feet. I decided to build it in three main stages. For the materials I will be using 3 x 4-ply 15mm 8x4 plywood sheets together with 8 x 18 foot 2x3 planks for the base and support struts. It is being built in an outside shed which used to be a wreck but I've cleared it out, patched the roof, put in appropriate insulation to prevent dampness, plastered the wall and painted it and put in new carpeting, now it's finally layout friendly! When the main baseboards are laid the shape will be like a rectangle but with one slanted side to allow ease of access to the shed :D

Section 1; This is what I already had completed before I started to take pictures of the progress:

Section 2; Here I'm going to show you building this section from start to finish. First here's the untreated wood that I bought for the section (with the shed in the background):

I then preserved the wood with a strong varnish/preservative, this also helped with the presentation. A loft layout mightn't need such treatment but because this shed can experience sub-zero temperatures together with heat I didn't want the base boards to warp. The more coats the better! :

Screwing and nailing the support struts:

I've cut the baseboard to the right shape but as you see the sides of the two baseboards are drooping over the edge so I have to rectify that and convert it into the one piece (next photo):

Job done for tonight! Altogether what you see there was done over 2 days which isn't bad going I suppose :banana: :

As for track layout and scenery I have very little planning done as of yet. I plan on doing some local scenery such as a quarry which I live near that the tracks pass, I think that it will look well and is relatively easy to do once you right stuff. This will definitely take a few months maybe even a year to get up to the standard that I'm happy with. More updates soon!

IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

First class Kilkenny its really shaping up and a nice set up with the railway close by to your house as well.

Thanks for the positive feedback hidden agenda :). The proximity to the railway is a nice bonus when looking for scenery ideas or the like! It should shape up nicely in the next few weeks if things go to plan.

Guest hidden-agenda

A nice day with the shed door open watching your trains go by listening to a 201 roar by your back garden and a beer in one hand and a ham and cheese on french bread in the other.

Your in heaven.

A nice day with the shed door open watching your trains go by listening to a 201 roar by your back garden and a beer in one hand and a ham and cheese on french bread in the other.

Your in heaven.

You hit the nail on the head there hidden agenda! Looks like the sun will never come though :ROFL:

A shed like yours have would suit me fine as my attic

Project is driving me mad with the heat at the moment

and extreme cold in the winter.Do keep us updated on progress.

I could imagine it being difficult to work in alright, especially if it's a cramped space.

Wait till the cold starts to roll in! Then it gets tricky..

Will do, have the final baseboard update in next few hours and then it's on to the good stuff!

Looks great? What era or stock are you planning on?

Thanks!

1980's - Present mostly.

I'll mainly focus on the 071 and 201 class with mk2 + 3 coaches and as for freight I'm going to have; dfds containers, beer kegs & iwt containers hopefully.

Thanks!

1980's - Present mostly.

I'll mainly focus on the 071 and 201 class with mk2 + 3 coaches and as for freight I'm going to have; dfds containers, beer kegs & iwt containers hopefully.

Sounds like my kind of layout! Do you plan a big station, or freight yard or what?