MGWR train

Rate this question

brianmcs

Question

Hello guys , I am thinking about having a go at modelling (in 4mm scale) the train on page 46 of Ernie Shepherd's book on the MGWR .I think this could only be done by scratch building or kit bashing .Does anyone have any tips re which kits would be the easiest to "bash " ? PS don't want to put the photo up here because of copyright.

12 answers to this question

Hello guys , I am thinking about having a go at modelling (in 4mm scale) the train on page 46 of Ernie Shepherd's book on the MGWR .I think this could only be done by scratch building or kit bashing .Does anyone have any tips re which kits would be the easiest to "bash " ? PS don't want to put the photo up here because of copyright.

Mayner, of this parish, is as I understand it, planning a model of this loco. Regarding the carriages, the first one (a lavatory first) and the second one (a 3rd) would be included in the subject matter of a recent post on MGWR six-wheelers as an essential part of the pre-1963 railway scene. Maybe the moderators could provide a link here to those posts?

The gist of it was discussion on how essential the standard MGWR six-wheeler is on any layout on GSR / CIE at any time 1925-63, and suggestions regarding kits, and Allen Doherty's very helpful Worsley Works "scratch-aid" kits. Given enough orders, he will make kits of these.

Thus leaves the next vehicle - a bogie 3rd, by the look of it - possibly a 2nd / 3rd. That would need to be scratch built from a drawing. If you're not that fussy about accuracy, there are some British SECR kits which could be botched to provide a half-reasonable approximation, though hardly worthy company for the loco kit and six-wheelers.

The fourth vehicle may be dining car No. 1, as the picture was almost certainly posed. In service, it is unlikely that it went beyond Galway. This vehicle was later rebuilt as a conventional coach. Again, if drawings could be found, that's the way to go - a complete scratch build is necessary. This vehicle would be the most challenging, as I am unaware of a drawing of it, and photos won't be plentiful as (a) it didn't stay that way for long, (b) few pictures of it exist and © I don't know of any other coach which might be botched to even approximate to it, let alone serve as a sensible donor.

Finally, the van. This is a Cusack high-roofed passenger brake, non birdcage. There should be more info on those, probably in the IRRS photos, though access to that collection isn't easy, even for bona fide researchers.

Overall, as the "Tourist Train", the actual train make-up would have varied; as mentioned in other posts, no train hardly - not even a special or specific one - ever had two carriages the same almost ever, prior to 1972 or so.

Livery was mid brown with yellow lining normally, but for a few years after 1905, and with all vehicles in this photo, a livery of royal blue and white, lined gold, was used by the MGWR. As you'd expect in steam days, white (not even cream) upper panels became filthy very quickly and they reverted to brown after only a few years. Indeed, it's probable that no more than a quarter of the fleet - if that - ever received this livery at all.

Some locos were painted blue lined in black and gold or black and white to match; others remained standard MGWR lined grass green.

The loco in this picture doesn't look pristine, so may be green rather than blue.

Edited by jhb171achill

For those who may not have access to the MGWR book to hand, the loco in question is a MDWR 2-4-0 'D' Class No 33 Arrow at Clifton.

https://chasewaterstuff.wordpress.com/tag/mgwr-ireland/

As Jon says, JD designs (Mayner) is intending a full brass kit late 2017 if on schedule.

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/5658-CIE-GSR-650-Class-2-4-0-MGWR-Ks

The caption refers to a 12 wheel diner No. 3 as the fourth vehicle in the train behind the Cusack

Edited by DiveController

Hi Guys

I get the impression that the IRRS has loads of rolling stock drawings but no one to go and collate them on a regular basis. I think Richard Mclachlan does a lot when he gets over to Dublin, but even he has said that it is more than one life times work to sort out.

As modellers it is hard enough to try and get our heads around the amount of information which is out there.

Hopefully the IRRS records are basically everything that was due to be dumped by the CIE when they where given it all, that being the case there might be a few gems which even the IRRS are not even aware of at the moment.

With my 00n3 hat on for a sec, while I would think that a lot is already known about the Irish 3ft gauge railways, it never surprises me when someone comes up with another bit of lost information about one of the railways.

Richard Mclachlan has said to me that the IRRS have had a number of personal collections which have been donated to the IRRS over the years, but which have so far not been co-ordinated with the main collection, people know it is there it is just about having the time to put it all in one place.

I am sure if I had the skills and the time to do it there is a market for what I would call scale drawings of Irish railway rolling stock.

A GSR Book would have to be split into a number of volumes to cater of all the sub railway companies such as the MGWR, GS&WR, D&SER as examples.

But until all the IRRS records have been digitised it is going to remain a problem of just what they have got in total. the downside is the fact that those with the hands on day to day knowledge are getting fewer every year.

hello guys , thanks for the replies , your knowledge never ceases to amaze me .JHB makes a good point that a scratch built bogie Cusack and 12 wheel diner might lookout of place beside such quality as Mayner's loco and brass 6 wheelers .but if I want to recreate the train in the photo there may be no choice .There are photos of those 2 coaches in the book and it seems I need to make time to revisit the IRRS archive and see if there are any drawings there.

Hi Brian

Should you find drawings for both the bogie coaches and you can obtain clean clear copies, lets us know on here and then send a set to Allan at Worsley works once we know how many he needs to fit on a sheet of brass I am sure he will set up the sheet.

I for one would have a set of etchings for both carriages to help the project along.

Colin

OK Brian no problem, I have got to get myself up to Birmingham at some point to look at the Metro cam archives to dig out the Clogher Valley rolling stock drawings and some of the same companies records regarding Irish railway company stock.

If there are any MetCam drawings of Irish rolling stock anyone would like me to try and take a photo of them for you, please PM the details.

I will let the list know when I hope to be going, as I will need to submit a list of drawings I want to see a week in advance of the visit. This gives them a chance to find them and have them ready for my visit.

Colin

Hello Colin , I will try but it might take some time as he IRRS archive is probably closed for the summer.

Colin -

Can't be certain that Archive is also open, but Library Nights are -

"Library Night every Tuesday from 19:30 to 21:45 (except December 26th 2017 and January 2nd 2018"

Quoting the IRRS Website.

Leslie

The library is now also closed for the summer, last Tuesday was the last 'Library Night', they will resume as normal in September. The only exception to this during the summer will be the annual 'Open Day' held on 26 August as part of National Heritage Week.

The library is now also closed for the summer, last Tuesday was the last 'Library Night', they will resume as normal in September. The only exception to this during the summer will be the annual 'Open Day' held on 26 August as part of National Heritage Week.

Apologies, I was only quoting the site, which I shall have changed!!!!

Well done Eiretrains for providing accurate info.

Leslie