073 repainted into IR white stripe livery

Rate this topic

Following the repainting of locomotive 071 into its original C.I.E. livery in May 2016 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the class, another anniversary in Irish Railway history was looming in 2017 as it would be 30 years since the founding of Iarnrod Eireann on the 2nd February 1987 when C.I.E. was split up into three subsidiary companies of Iarnrod Eireann, Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus.

In February 2017, staff members Driver Ken Fox of Cork, Guard Noel Enright of Westport and Neil Dinnen Intercity Fleet Controller, Laois Train Care Depot made a suggestion to Peter Smyth, Chief Mechanical Engineer Iarnrod Eireann of repainting another 071 Class locomotive into a heritage livery, the original Iarnrod Eireann livery from 1987.

For the 30th anniversary, No. 073 was the chosen candidate for repainting into the white stripe livery as it was undergoing a body overhaul in Inchicore Works. The locomotive was repainted at the Paint Spray Shop in May 2017, with minor finishing work carried out in June 2017.

To re-launch 073 an event took place at Inchicore on Friday 7th July, where a line-up of three 071 Class locomotives was arranged to showcase some of the different liveries the fleet have carried over the last 41 years.

Click the image below to see all the photos from Inchicore today.

DSC_5276-M.jpg

• Like 2

It really looks sweet, congrats to all involved in the project. I still can't get used to looking at them without the handrails. The different views and angles of the pics in the group shows how well MM captured the look for the model, makes me appreciate it all the more.

Rich,

• Like 1

It is very fortunate that many IE staff members have a passion and appreciation for the railways and rolling stock, they are not just running a day-to-day transport business but they are also actively supporting and promoting railway history and heritage in Ireland. Well done to all involved for turning out 073 in such magnificent condition. Arguably one of the best GM loco types to run in Ireland or indeed in Europe, for power, reliability and availabiltiy you would have to search hard to find a better loco than the 071s. That livery looks absolutely superb and thanks again for reproducing it.

• Like 1

I find it odd that this loco was repainted in the more vibrant MK3 orange we all know and love. I've a sample of the earlier, slightly darker version, taken from the roof of a 121 who shall rename nameless (and it's not TAN!) and it's not RAL 2011.

unnamed.jpg

Forgive the colour blocks on the left, they aren't an accurate "catch all" but if I were making these things in small, I'd have gone for the right colour :P :p :P

(cue JHB and a pint exploding somewhere)

Richie.

edit - I'm not knocking IE's valiant efforts, it's a stunning job well executed.

Edited by Glenderg
  • Like 1

I find it odd that this loco was repainted in the more vibrant MK3 orange we all know and love. I've a sample of the earlier, slightly darker version, taken from the roof of a 121 who shall rename nameless (and it's not TAN!) and it's not RAL 2011.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28325[/ATTACH]

Forgive the colour blocks on the left, they aren't an accurate "catch all" but if I were making these things in small, I'd have gone for the right colour :P :p :P

(cue JHB and a pint exploding somewhere)

Richie.

edit - I'm not knocking IE's valiant efforts, it's a stunning job well executed.

Hi Richie. That's interesting but please forgive a little confusion on my part, you have the legend "Intercity IE Orange" pointing to both samples. Were both shades used on the later 'broken socket' logo IE locos? Or is UV and weathering the culprit. Noel

Hi Richie. That's interesting but please forgive a little confusion on my part, you have the legend "Intercity IE Orange" pointing to both samples. Were both shades used on the later 'broken socket' logo IE locos? Or is UV and weathering the culprit. Noel

There are two distinct layers on the sample to the left...

• 8 months later...
On 11/07/2017 at 2:22 AM, Glenderg said:

unnamed.jpg

Forgive the colour blocks on the left, they aren't an accurate "catch all" but if I were making these things in small, I'd have gone for the right colour :P :P :P

Old news post now, I know, but it just occurred to me: the 071s were delivered in an entirely non-standard (non-CIE!) browny colour, all being repainted fairly quickly. This was a one-off.

That was done in the States, I believe the first one off the line got that really brown version as depicted on 086sa, but that was all. Inchicore did the rest. I must bring those samples in for you to see in the flesh over some of Uncle Arthur's Medicinal Compound some evening... :P 

29 minutes ago, Glenderg said:

That was done in the States, I believe the first one off the line got that really brown version as depicted on 086sa, but that was all. Inchicore did the rest. I must bring those samples in for you to see in the flesh over some of Uncle Arthur's Medicinal Compound some evening... :P 

And I shall referee this encounter, lest the quality of porter on hand become less than perfect...

• Funny 1

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

So, is it true? I looked at the video on Tik Tok but it shows 073 in orange and black livery, not grey.

I'd have expected one of the forum's 071 class titans like @ttc0169, @MOGUL or @Rob to have let us know!

Screenshots from video:

Screenshot_20240104-234758.png

Screenshot_20240104-234801.png

Screenshot_20240104-234943.png

The person who posted the video replied to a comment asking where he got this info regarding 073, and he simply replied with "worker", I'm slightly doubting this since 073 wasn't due for any repaints as far as I know...

5 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

So, is it true? I looked at the video on Tik Tok but it shows 073 in orange and black livery, not grey.

I'd have expected one of the forum's 071 class titans like @ttc0169, @MOGUL or @Rob to have let us know!

Screenshots from video:

Screenshot_20240104-234758.png

Screenshot_20240104-234801.png

Screenshot_20240104-234943.png

All bullsh**t-still in orange retro IR livery. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...