Nir sets x 2

Rate this topic

burnthebox

Maybe all this Irish for sale is to do with Brexit..or maybe the £ vs € when Brexit is all's said & done, get in before the rush ! to make a buck or two, or is it to do with Royal Mail postal charges changing, or are they just getting rid of their items, I've seen so much Irish for sale in the last month, 201's, 141's, 181's, 071's, N Class, I'm just wondering, & not forgetting the NIR's just saying

BTB

Is it just me or was Lima not regarded in the past as rather inferior and significantly poorer quality than Bachmann and Hornby models? Don't understand the prices.

In their day, Lima were relatively well regarded, and some people argue that the way they captured the body shapes of certain locos still hasn't been surpassed by manufacturers who produced them later. Of course, time has passed and standards have improved. You still see Lima models gracing even finescale layouts at many UK shows, though,

Edited by Garfield

Is it just me or was Lima not regarded in the past as rather inferior and significantly poorer quality than Bachmann and Hornby models? Don't understand the prices.

As Patrick said, Lima had their strong points. Their moulding is very crisp in some areas, and some of their locos were well done. It was the lack of separately applied details and most obviously, rough, noisy motors in the British outline models that let them down. They were certainly better than the comparable Hornby diesels, wagons and in some cases, coaches of the time. Bachmann kicked up things a few notches but in fairness to Lima a lot of their stuff was tooled before Bachmann emerged on the scene.

I have seen a basic Lima Mark 1 glide down the slightest of slopes, offering next to no rolling resistance. Just what you want in your stock. As good as the Bachmann Mark 1s are, they do run like the brakes are on. In that regard, some models have go backwards. Just my opinion, of course.

Highly collectable sets

Only 300 made and he says these were never out of the box

Just checked some old prices and they made £200 + back in 09 when prices were a bit mental

He was looking for a lot for them but he also got some strong money for some of his other Irish bits

As Patrick said, Lima had their strong points. Their moulding is very crisp in some areas, and some of their locos were well done. It was the lack of separately applied details and most obviously, rough, noisy motors in the British outline models that let them down. They were certainly better than the comparable Hornby diesels, wagons and in some cases, coaches of the time. Bachmann kicked up things a few notches but in fairness to Lima a lot of their stuff was tooled before Bachmann emerged on the scene.

I have seen a basic Lima Mark 1 glide down the slightest of slopes, offering next to no rolling resistance. Just what you want in your stock. As good as the Bachmann Mark 1s are, they do run like the brakes are on. In that regard, some models have go backwards. Just my opinion, of course.

Their class 31 and 73 models were and still are finely moulded mmodels.

Rich,

Going to have to disagree with my colleague about the ringfield motors. superb bit of engineering that transferred power equally to each axle, only to be let down by pickups and carbon brushes. And size.

But the noise they made was the 80's equivalent of DCC Sound, and they even produced a smell of burning oil that current crop of loco's don't do (Elf n Safety might have something to say about that...!)

Give me a Lima MK3 to butcher any day over a Hornby version...

R.

(This post may contain an unnatural amount of nostalgia and does not reflect IRM's tractive aspirations, despite my efforts :P )

There is an easy? fix for the noisy motors

If you strip them down a lot of the plastic parts still have some residue from the manufacturing process

Check out the gears and remove the burr, helps reduce the noise a tad.

Though what this has to do with NIR Mk 2's I will never know?

There is an easy? fix for the noisy motors

If you strip them down a lot of the plastic parts still have some residue from the manufacturing process

Check out the gears and remove the burr, helps reduce the noise a tad.

Though what this has to do with NIR Mk 2's I will never know?

Hi Dave. Agree about making them quieter, but the gearing is wrong so they cannot run at scale speeds, start off at 40kph and cruise at 200kph :) Noel

Hi Dave. Agree about making them quieter, but the gearing is wrong so they cannot run at scale speeds, start off at 40kph and cruise at 200kph :) Noel

Early Lima locos, such as the "201" in the video, did have very low ratio gearing which gave them a fantastic turn of speed, but later locos from the mid 1980s had motor bogies with much higher ratio gearing, and finer wheels, making them much slower and smoother runners.