Help! Which scale to model

Rate this question

irishrail201

Question

Hi All,

Just a quick question, I have recently become owner of a 1:43 scale model of Castlegregory station building, which would seem to suggest I should do a 7mm narrow gauge model of Castlegregory....

20196715_1424629857627107_399851309_o.jpg

However....I have one fully built T&D 2-6-2T in 009, two 2-6-0T bodies assembled, and one "in the works" although neither have chassis at the minute.

There is a Chivers 7mm version of the T&D 2-6-0T, there are etches available for carriages etc but I'm terrified of brass

Finally I've a reasonable collection of 00 stuff like an 071 (077), 201 (220), 141 (143/177), 181 (187) about 4 cravens, and the same MK2Ds...plus a host of Hornby/Bachmann mostly LMS locos. That I will probably dispose of over time.

Question is which do I do?! I would like to go ahead with a narrow gauge model of Castlegregory but which scale? Any help would be great :P

8 answers to this question

If you have room for a Castlegregory terminus in O scale, I'd go for it as it would make a very unique model with ample opportunity for increased level of detail. The branch train was usually a single brake third with one or two goods vans at most, so it's easy to model.

One loco, a couple of carriages, and maybe two each of vans, cattle trucks and open wagons would be enough to make an interesting and authentic operating layout.

The 009 and 00 gauge stuff will all sell easily in the http://www.interweb.ebay, I would think.

7mm scale, of course! But then I would say that...

The station building is a nice start and as already has been said, space should not be a problem.

You can use OO track (21mm would be nicer) and Pecorama stuff is quick and easy to lay.

The great joy of 7mmng is that you can use commercial chassis and have a lot of fun free lancing before doing something specific. Loco, coach and wagon bodies can all be made in plastic sheet, with 22mm plastic water pipe for boilers, plus there are white metal kits you can glue together.

4mm scale chassis will run better than 009 ones and by scaling up slow running is better too.

Join the 7mmNG Association for masses of info and a great magazine too.

7mm scale, of course! But then I would say that...

David thanks..I must say the CVR stock you have is stunning! I would like to do a T&D version but my skills are non existant at the moment.

I'll find space for 7mm NG and will update you all. Points noted on chassis and you are probably right!

If you have room for a Castlegregory terminus in O scale, I'd go for it as it would make a very unique model with ample opportunity for increased level of detail. The branch train was usually a single brake third with one or two goods vans at most, so it's easy to model.

Yes the composite brake 13T was a regular on the line, my grandfather travelled on it as a schoolboy!

There is a Chivers whitemetal kits available of number 6T which coincidentally hauled the last train from Castlegregory in April 1939.

http://www.slimrails.co.uk/indexlocospage.html

castlegregory1.jpg

The terminus as seen from the home signal

castlegregory2.jpg

Last train seen above

If I wasn't so committed to having a load of 4mm 00n3 stock and kits I would say go with that, but if you can find the space go 7mm it is very impressive at shows and remember never build a baseboard bigger that you can get in the car as you don't want to keep hiring a van to take the layout to shows.

If you have never built a baseboard before it is worth getting hold of a copy of Landscape modelling by Barry Norman ISBN 0 906867 44 4