Installing DCC Sound To Class 071

Rate this question

Sails

Question

Gents,

I have an 071 that came with a speaker already installed and I have received a DCC sound decoder to add to the loco. The decoder has come with a speaker wired, a quick check and when I start it up the speaker wired to the decoder is the one working. Before I cut any wires (as Im terrible at this sort of thing) am I ok to disconnect the speaker that came with the decoder and the installed speaker on the 071 will then work?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

5 answers to this question

Gents,

I have an 071 that came with a speaker already installed and I have received a DCC sound decoder to add to the loco. The decoder has come with a speaker wired, a quick check and when I start it up the speaker wired to the decoder is the one working. Before I cut any wires (as Im terrible at this sort of thing) am I ok to disconnect the speaker that came with the decoder and the installed speaker on the 071 will then work?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Hi Mark

If the decoder is a LokSound or Zimo chip then it should be ok to cut the wires to the speaker that came with the decoder, and then the sound should come out of the built in speaker in the loco. However it may be prudent to cut the wires in such a way that would allow you enough spare wire to easily re-solder should that not prove the case. Speakers can either be connected directly to the decoder, or more common practice with Murphy Model locos, connected to the Loco's PCB, but not both if that makes sense. Don't forget to either remove or insulate the superfluous wires coming from the decoder after you cut them so they don't short out with any metal bits inside the loco or its PCB. Noel

PS: You will have a nice spare speaker for possible future use in 141 or 181s.

Success, Thanks Noel, done as you said, working just fine.

Mark

Hi Mark. Glad to hear it, enjoy. :) FYI, you can turn the volume down a bit if you find the default sound level a little loud. If its a LokSound chip just adjust CV63 with a value between 1 and 128. Which sound project did you go for? Noel

Hi Noel,

I went with Wheeltappers 071 with power drive, very happy with it. I had listened to most that had samples available, there was one I wanted to try out, Mr Soundguy but his Irish diesels are not on his site at the moment.

Think I'll get sound into one my 181's next and put my new spare speaker to good use.

Mark

Hi Noel,

I went with Wheeltappers 071 with power drive, very happy with it. I had listened to most that had samples available, there was one I wanted to try out, Mr Soundguy but his Irish diesels are not on his site at the moment.

Think I'll get sound into one my 181's next and put my new spare speaker to good use.

Mark

Hi Mark. Good choice. I really like the F5 'drive hold' feature on Wheeltappers projects (Neil). A very helpful guy too. MrSoundguy (Keith Pearson) sells only by phone or email, his site is a bit antiquated and doesn't have online sales, but he's also a helpful guy. Noel