Hornby Vs. Peco Track?

Rate this question

Kilkenny

Question

Hello everyone, I just have a question regarding track for model layouts. Would you recommend hornby track or peco track for running Irish models?

On my old basic layout I only used hornby track as that was the only track I knew of at the time but now that I've decided to build a more advanced larger layout (having seen other modellers on the site use the peco streamline track) I'm beginning to think that maybe it's time to move to peco.

How do you think the two brands compare when it come to reliability, appearance, build quality and easiness to work with because those are the qualities I want in my new layout.

I myself have found that some of my locos don't like hornby track, especially when it comes to points. Any help and feedback as well as advice is appreciated. Thanks all.

19 answers to this question

I think that peco streamline looks a lot more realistic, is a lot more versatile and though it takes a while to get used to, it's brilliant in the end. Hornby track is more simple, but looks very rigid...

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah hornby is pretty simple but I think I have enough experience now to take my track modeling skills up a notch. I also noticed the rigidness of it, I suppose it's okay as a starter track most of the time. Have you ever encountered derailment problems or the like on your peco streamline track?

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah hornby is pretty simple but I think I have enough experience now to take my track modeling skills up a notch. I also noticed the rigidness of it, I suppose it's okay as a starter track most of the time. Have you ever encountered derailment problems or the like on your peco streamline track?

I've literally only been working with it for two days, so I haven't got it up and running yet, but I'm used to it now :)

I've literally only been working with it for two days, so I haven't got it up and running yet, but I'm used to it now :)

Oh well if you've gotten used to it in a matter of days I'm guessing it's easy to work with. Good luck with it anyway, hopefully I'll soon catch up to you! :ROFL:

For more prototypical or realistic track flowing and formations get some tracksetta if you are using Peco Streamline crossings and flexible track lengths. Also get a Xuron track cutter and you will never look back. Peco are producing some nice flat bottom rail concrete crossings also so don't rule them out depending on the era you are modelling. Good luck with you're project I am sure it will be smashing:tumbsup:. Fire me a pm if you need any advice or pointers, I would be delighted to lend a hand.

Rich,

I have about 50/50 Peco and Hornby on my layout and to be honest I don't see any real difference in running quality with regular staright and curved track. I actually find Hornby flextrack slightly easier to work with laying it on the baseboard.

Points are another thing though.

Contrary to what most people seem to recommend I only use insulfrog points on my layout and have a mix of both Hornby and Peco setrack points. The Peco certainly seem to be of better quality, are sturdier and give a more positive throw action. But I have'nt noticed any difference in running. One issue is that if, like me, you use older running stock you can have issues with older wheelsets bridging the insulated frog and causing a short. This only happens with the Peco insulfrog, as the plastic section is smaller.

I have about 50/50 Peco and Hornby on my layout and to be honest I don't see any real difference in running quality with regular staright and curved track. I actually find Hornby flextrack slightly easier to work with laying it on the baseboard.

Points are another thing though.

Contrary to what most people seem to recommend I only use insulfrog points on my layout and have a mix of both Hornby and Peco setrack points. The Peco certainly seem to be of better quality, are sturdier and give a more positive throw action. But I have'nt noticed any difference in running. One issue is that if, like me, you use older running stock you can have issues with older wheelsets bridging the insulated frog and causing a short. This only happens with the Peco insulfrog, as the plastic section is smaller.

What code of peco track are you using?

I use Peco code 100 as well,and Peco track is more realalistic.

That said I do have lenths of hornby track that will be used in unseen

areas.

That is a good point there. If you already have hornby track from a previous layout, then it can be used in fiddle yards or somewhere like that :) so it doesn't have to go to waste!

I'm hoping to eventually get down to putting together my layout. I keep saying this I know, but various things haven't permitted me to have any decent run at it.

But this is my issue now. I was gifted a fair few the more modern 8072/3 Hornby points at the time and bought a few more to complete what I needed. This was before I really got reading 'into' the whole modelling thing and was unaware of the whole Peco V Hornby aspect regarding points.

I'm in a quandary now as to go with the Hornby ones and hope it all will be ok. I've heard some who have had no bad experiences, therefore its hard to know. Or do I change to the Peco Setrack ones instead. Naturally though that means having to buy over 20 new points!!!!!

Any advice or further experience with the more modern Hornby points, would be welcomed.

Peco all the way, the offset on a Hornby point is too severe, plus they are insulfrog and locos can stall going very slowly over them.

Peco electrofrog points are much more reliable and have a very gentle offset of 12 degrees.

Sell the Hornby points as you will regret using them later, as I did.

Peco all the way, the offset on a Hornby point is too severe, plus they are insulfrog and locos can stall going very slowly over them.

Peco electrofrog points are much more reliable and have a very gentle offset of 12 degrees.

Sell the Hornby points as you will regret using them later, as I did.

Thanks again Dave, will have to look into that. Going to do a bit of a redesign given the longer turn on the Peco's are not a direct size replacement for the Hornby points. Hopefully it won't alter my existing layout design too much.

I presume theres no issue with running the Peco electrofrog points with the Hornby regular track/straights?

Screw both and get Exactoscale track and Marcway points.....

Very much agree!

peco track is fine for simplicity, geometry etc, but the sleeper spacing is wrong, being an amalgam of HO and OO. Works best with American outline.Marcway points are almost the same price as Peco and I can vouch for their robustness. They are also live frog and self isolating.

However, for a truly Irish appearance the only thing that works is 21mm...

By no means as scary as it sounds and Marcway will custom make points for a small premium over OO. Appreciate that for anyone starting off that OO seems more do-able, but consider 21mm in the long term as it sets the layout more than any other way can.

Marcway also do a plastic sleepered OO Gauge chaired bullhead flexible track under the Scaleway label http://www.marcway.net/smp.php which is fully compatible with their OO gauge points.

The flexible track looks better is probably easier to lay and definitely easier to ballast than Peco and is typical of main line track in the UK and Ireland up to the widespread use of concrete sleepers & CWR.

The lighter rail section should not be an issue unless you use old Triang or Lima locos and stock, in which case its better to upgrade with better quality wheel sets that don't loose their plating and collect dirt.

Code 100 track is probably on its way out, over 20 years ago Peco introduced its Code 75 flatbottom system more recently Peco and Atlas have gone head to head developing competing Code 82 track systems for the American market.