CIE 299 in 7mm scale?

Rate this topic

David Holman

Looking at my copy of Bylines this morning, noticed there are many similarities between this loco and the Ixion ready to run Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T.

Main differences would appear to be an internal bunker on 299, plus external sandboxes and Manning Wardke style wheels. For 36.75mm geeks like me am wondering what diameter the axles are, as this could make changing the wheels a challenge. Otherwise, for those less fussy, it could be an almost RTR Irish 7mm scale loco.

Thoughts anyone?

Hi David

I have considered this several times, the Ixion model is lovely, it's even more akin to 'Erin' (300) a contractors engine used to construct the Wexford to Rosslare Railway and then used in stock on the Waterford & Wexford Railway. Erin had the outside rear bunker, round windows, and the Ixion model only needs the steam dome, sand boxes, and maybe a buffer change. I reckon the wheels only need counter weights installed and its pretty close..

Eoin

Edited by murrayec

A bit more research led me to the S7 website, where Dave Nicholson describes how to convert it using Slater's Manning Wardle wheels. Key bit of info though is the Ixion wheels have 3mm diameter axles, so presumably suitable steel rod could be used to get the model to broad gauge. Would be interested to know if anyone out there has had a good, though I'm not holding my breath...

Hi David

Interesting article, the simplest way to extend the axles would be to cut them and sleeve them with brass tube to the broad gauge size, taking note of the square ends and setting them up to run true before soldering- the drive axle would have to be extended off centre, or if the brass sleeve used is not to thick- ream out the drive gear to fit??

Eoin

Was thinking along those lines, Eoin. The alternative would be to just use 3mm steel for new axles and keep the Ixion wheels, doing a bit of cosmetic work to make them more like 299s.

What I need to do first is have a close look at an Ixion and decide what is best. If I do have a go, will certainly write it up.

David, I've thought that your skills with Leitrim-world and Clogher Valley would lend themselves well to a quirky off-the-beaten-track CIE branch about 1959. That loco, and / or something like No. 90, plus an obligatory appearance of a dirty green "C", would make a fine sight tentatively bumbling through weed-grown track which hadn't seen too many PW gangs since about 1938!

A six wheel passenger brake and about half a dozen wagons would be all you'd need - with one GN one, maybe, borrowed from "Arigna Road"!

A grimy 299 fits that scene perfectly.