Noel

Kingsbridge - workbench

While waiting for some bits for the locos did a little work on the 3D beat wagons. They are not 100% by any means but they will look much better than BR mineral wagons on my mixed CIE good train formations. :) Quick and easy to assemble with no resin fettling needed.

IMG_4141.jpg

3D beat bodies mounted on €7 Dapol RTR chassis

IMG_4357.jpg

Some bits to add then weathering, etc.  Also damming evidence since I was sentenced to "rot in the the bogie of eternal stench" by cutting up 141s for two C class chassis.

IMG_4360.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Nearly finished. 

IMG_4381.jpg

PS: JB the chassis are not black :) 

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, burnthebox said:

Looking very nice Noel, mind telling me where these came from, 

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul.  The 3D bodies are from Shapeways and the chassis are Dapol unpainted RTR 10ft chassis. The finished wagons cost me about €28 each.  

Transplant donors being prepared for the ritual sacrifice. This risks me being expelled from 'rotting in the bogie of eternal stench' such is the imminent destruction of such sacred cows, however cheaply bought into slavery from eBay.

IMG_4402.jpg

44 minutes ago, Noel said:

Transplant donors being prepared for the ritual sacrifice. This risks me being expelled from 'rotting in the bogie of eternal stench' such is the imminent destruction of such sacred cows, however cheaply bought into slavery from eBay.

IMG_4402.jpg

Will you have to do some drastic surgery to get the chassis to fit?

4 hours ago, Irishrailwayman said:

Will you have to do some drastic surgery to get the chassis to fit?

Hi Gerry

Not for the C class but yes for the Sulzer. There was careful consideration and research about using these two MM chassis as donors, and the decision was not taken lightly or without considering alternates.  In case anybody thinks I'm being wasteful, I waited patiently over the past two years to acquire both of these donors at very low cost, both costing less than alternate Bachmann BR donor chassis on eBay.  I ruled out using Hornby railroad style chassis as often recommended with SF kits because they do not run anywhere near as precisely as Bachmann/MM centre drive chassis, and also ruled out spud drives like Tenshodo with 15:1 gear ratio because of their running quality. Hollywood Iron foundry was another option but are more expensive than these donors, they don't even have PCBs, and not DCC ready.

C class: Ironically the MM 141 is the ideal chassis for a C class in terms of length, bogie wheel spacing, lights, speaker space, easy of replacing bogie sides, NEM pocket heights to clear buffer beams, etc, and requires minimal work to fit the SF C class resin body, just cut a few mm of the both ends of the chassis using a mini drill disc cutter. You end up with a top class centre drive double flywheel runner AWD, AWP, lights, etc.

Sulzer: The 071 bogie axle spacings are a perfect match for the SF B101 Sulzer, but the chassis requires to be shortened by way of two cut and joins each side of the centre drive motor, including shortening both carden shafts. The reason for two cuts is so the shafts are still long enough to allow both bogies pivot freely when the shortened chassis is reassembled. The MM chassis has all the lighting on the PCB as well as the snap fit bogie covers that are easy to change sides while retain the NEM pockets.  

Other considerations were that I am already familiar with these Bachman/MM style chassis, they are 21pin DCC and sound ready, both with speaker cradles, both with lighting PCBs, and most importantly of all both run as smoothly and reliable as a Swiss clock.

Edited by Noel
multiple typos due lexdysia
  • Informative 1

So sad. If IRM did A & C class loco's this would not be needed. :praying:

39 minutes ago, popeye said:

So sad. If IRM did A & C class loco's this would not be needed. :praying:

Very true solomen.gif

PS: I still have the screen grab of a certain PM from 2015 advising me about RTR A class options :) 

Edited by Noel