IRM Cement Bubble Latest News

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that we can finally bring you an update regarding the Irish Railway Models Cement Bubble!

As previously stated, production of this iconic wagon is now underway at our factory in China. Since we took over full control of producing the wagons ourselves, we had aimed to have these on your layouts and in your collections by the end of summer.

However, the more we looked at the pre-production tooling sample, the more we were unhappy with the first rendition of the model. Changes we had requested with our previous agent were not implemented and as a result, there were a number of errors that we found unacceptable. It was our goal to make the definitive version of the most iconic wagon on Irish rails, so we took the tough decision to junk a lot of the tooling and retool a number of parts of the wagon. This was expensive, but we felt it was necessary, despite the expense.

As a result, the hatch lid, the underframe detail below the tank and the tank itself have been retooled and corrected. The walkways and ladders are now etched nickel silver and as a result are not only much more sturdy, but finer too. Taking on feedback from customers and magazine reviews, we have also reduced the thickness of the W irons on the chassis to create a more prototypical appearance.

Below are some pics of the results in our deco sample. We hope you like it and agree that the changes are worthwhile.

The arrival of the bubbles will coincide with the October show, which will involve flying them in from China. We apologise for the delay, but we hope you understand the circumstances behind this decision. :)

(Also, please excuse the quality of photography, I need to work on my lighting and other areas more! :) )

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Edited by Warbonnet

I need a drink!

I need the whole bottle Pat. Seriously that is definitely the best 2 axle wagon model I have seen and I am including the Ballast as an example also. I love the Ballast and I thought it will be a hard act to follow. 25195 is so unique as well with the Bulk Cement Stenciling. All the team deserve huge plaudits and I don't think Pat, Fran, and Stephen would mind me singling out Richie for his amazing input. I can't wait to get my hands on them. What's frightening is, if the Tara's top these.

Rich,

Is 25195 the only wagon that carried the 'Bulk Cement' stencilling or did other bubbles carry that too? Trying to work out which packs to add to my shopping list.

It may have been, if not the number branded with the Bulk Cement and larger broken wheel might have been very small. If Richie sees this he will I'm sure be able to give a more definitive answer.

Rich,

It may have been, if not the number branded with the Bulk Cement and larger broken wheel might have been very small. If Richie sees this he will I'm sure be able to give a more definitive answer.

Rich,

Ha! In fact it was a hangover from the grey livery, though the distance between the lettering was smaller on the greys. The roundel on that wagon was the 450mm variant with less chunkiness, whilst the others ran with the later 350mm tighter roundel. Bet yer glad ya asked now!!!

It was the only wagon branded thus, and ran all the way through her ivory life like that. There's plenty oddities in them, not ones the same, and even an Easter egg on one, as there was on the ballasts.

Just wanted to say a big thanks to all you lads for the thumbs up, RedRich in particular. When a spark of an idea translates to a real thing in plastic there's a chance the urgency for success can overcome oneself, and mistakes/compromises be made at the expense of getting "product to market"

It just doesn't happen in this oddball "band of brothers". Personally, without Garfield's late night persistence on pushing the envelope, we'd not have had the CAD that led to the changes, nor Fran advocating why you guys want livery X versus livery Y, nor Stephen at the helm to make the business case to make X thousand units of packs A to D. This takes a team effort, beyond belief, I can't at any stage claim any heroics. I just do design, and I can't even remember this project, I've been on other stuff since !!!

Richie - Sometimes Technical Director

P.S. I just noticed that we published a sketch of a system for a wagon door type unit inadvertently, or at least an "explainer" for our Asian colleagues....jaysus

Edited by Glenderg

Just have to say, wow guys. You're raised the bar yet again. I remember chatting to you Richie back when collecting the ballasts and you really pushed home how you were not happy with the top hatch and how you were working on how to improve it. Amazing work.

With the taras being a personal favourite of mine since watching them as a young lad and are to raise the standard even higher I'm in awe of what you guys will come up with.

Thanks to the team for all the had work, late nights and liquid lunches.

To the IRM team.

Just asking can you change my order, it's set for Parcel Motel delivery but would like to change to show pick up. Order #573

Thanks.

Also I got 6 emails in the last hour saying order completed for 6 orders I placed today. I have not placed anything and they are all €0 amounts. Very odd.

We want to ensure that our wagons run as good as they look, so we test them to make sure performance is up to scratch.

Here is our cement bubble hammering through complex points, both being pulled and pushed and stalled to ensure they stay on the rails on our temporary test track. As you can see, performance was flawless.

The bubbles are getting closer to our shores! :)http://www.irishrailwaymodels.com//shop

It's also worth subscribing to our YouTube channel so you can see all the video content coming your way! :)

Edited by Warbonnet
  • Like 1

Very interesting clip Fran. Thanks for posting. The bubble looking stunning and running as well. 'IRM towers' premises looking impressive. 0:54s looks like a 17 coach mk3 prototyping line. Nice box of 'event stock' in the background at 54s :) Lovely weathering job on 184 too, but somebody forgot the two horns ;) (in jest) Interesting to see an early bubble sample on the bench at 8s & 60s. Was it the near side ladder that Richie manhandled in the pub? :) :) I can see great things emanating from this premises. :tumbsup: