Dart to run to Maynooth and Kildare?

Rate this topic

there is a bit more detail here

http://www.dttas.ie/speeches/2017/minister-ross-budget-2018-speech

Public Transport

My top priority over the next few years is to rapidly increase investment in public transport while also increasing public transport services. Next year, I will invest over €400 million in public transport infrastructure, and this will rise to over €500m in 2019, over €700 million in 2020 and almost 1.1 billion in 2021. That is a four-year capital envelope for public transport of over 2.7 billion euro. It represents a 275 percent increase in investment over that period; and it is a clear signal of the importance the Government is putting on providing good public transport. I am particularly pleased that this substantial allocation allows me to invest in a much needed, fundamental overhaul of the bus network in Dublin, which will make it faster, more reliable, convenient and affordable.

I am allocating more than three-quarters of a billion euro for the BusConnects programme; a transformative investment package that will finance new and expanded bus routes and greatly improve bus access through and around the Capital. This programme represents the most integrated investment programme ever undertaken in bus transport in the Capital. It recognises that we need to do much more that simply add more buses to the existing network, with all of its inherent bottlenecks and other constraints. It is about adding more buses to a system that is reformed to ensure that it flows better, so that we actually carry many more passengers and get them to their destination quicker.

In relation to public transport services, in 2018 we will be providing an 8 percent increase in overall funding to support Public Service Obligation services. This will enable the continued delivery of socially necessary but financially unviable services throughout the country. Such PSO services have grown in recent years, and the increase in funding in 2018 is a cumulative increase over three years (2016-2018) of €75 million, or 36%.

The 2018 funding will also facilitate some further expansion, including the commencement next year of the planned roll-out of bus market opening, part of which will involve increased frequency on a number of core routes.

Alongside this, Rural Transport services that respond to local needs have also increased and we will continue to support these through enhanced funding.

With regard to rail, there will be over 680 million euro capital investment in additional rail infrastructure between now and 2021. This will deliver additional Luas capacity on top of the soon-to-be complete Luas Cross-City project, which will be a hugely beneficial addition to the public transport system in our Capital City. This amount will also help fund additional trams and longer trams across the entire Luas network.It will also fund the City Centre Re-signalling Project to improve speeds through the central Dublin part of the mainline rail network, and a new Central Traffic Control Centre which will enable the DART Expansion Programme to progress, and it will help improve national rail movements too.Additional funding will also increase the rail fleet and allow further progress to be made on the electrification of both the Northern rail line to Balbriggan and the Maynooth line. Further funding commitments for electrification of the Kildare line to Hazelhatch as part of Dart Expansion will be considered in the context of the 10 year capital plan. We are continuing to invest strongly in maintenance and safety projects to keep our national railway system safe and effective.

With today’s 4-year capital envelope, we are progressing preparation of the Metro North; construction work on this project will start in 2021, with passenger services starting in 2027. The 10-year capital plan to be published in the coming months will include the funding for the period to complete this significant addition to public transport. I also expect to include a number of other significant major investments in that forthcoming 10-year plan.

Transport is not just for the able-bodied, every citizen must be able to avail of public transport with as much ease as possible. To that end, while all accessibility is designed into new public transport projects, I am also providing multi-annual funding of almost 30 million euro over the next four years for retro-fitting of older existing public transport facilities to improve accessibility. This effectively doubles the previously planned investment amount.

Electrification of the Maynooth and Kildare lines were always part of the overall DART expansion programme. There was no mention of DART underground, which was the way that the services were to be joined up. Does that imply electrification of the recently re-opened Heuston to Connolly line, DART overground!

Stephen

Electrification of the Maynooth and Kildare lines were always part of the overall DART expansion programme. There was no mention of DART underground, which was the way that the services were to be joined up. Does that imply electrification of the recently re-opened Heuston to Connolly line, DART overground!

Stephen

The plan is to electrify Hatch to Heuston with a depot at the Hatch end to allow services to begin operating until DART Underground and it's underground station at Heuston opens.

There's talk of a tender to commission new stock as traffic increases. On the one hand, one might construe this as a new generation of railcars, however, "purchase" is not mentioned, as far as I can see. Thus, the statement might just as easily translate into re-commissioning the 27s (as seems to be the plan already) and possibly - IF new stock is acquired - perhaps 2nd hand British carriages to run push-pull with the 201s they already have!

Should such an idea come to pass, that would mean more loc0-gauled stuff, not less. I should add that the above is supposition regarding rolling stock. I have heard that refurb of the 27s is happening anyway, and apparently some 201s were being looked over with a view to return to traffic.

I heard an absolute whopper recently that the Alstom DARTs are to be paired with 201s as push pull units. Mad the stuff you hear at ends of platforms or from a driver in Heuston...

Interesting info about the 201s though which would be at odds with another post on here today. I’m sure powers that be know what’s going on though!

The end of regular loco hauled trains must be close. I understand IR would like to remove all 201 locos from high speed running

No such thing has been mentioned. The only things related to 201s is sanding and re-engineering (the refurb programme). Likely not to be replaced.

Those who were present at a meeting in the Irish Railway Record Society in March will have heard some of the potential plans for the 8200 fleet, as well as the general strategy rolling-stock wise. And loco hauled (or rather push/pull) is likely to stay for some time

Was there myself Kieran, Peter smyth had an idea for using the 8200s as unpowered units with the 2700s, which even he thought was a bit pie in the sky.. must have grown wings since then with the 201s being swapped for the 2700s.. on another note, will we see a few more 201s back in the new year.. gone very scarce on PWD and freight work with 071s doing nearly all at the moment..

According the latest IRRS Journal, IE is seeking to 're-power' the 201 class and refurbish the 2700 class. With regard to the 201's, this is the second exercise by IE to achieve considerable improvements to the locos. The refurbishment of the 2700 class comes after attempts to sell off the class came to nothing.

Stephen