Old view

Rate this topic

burnthebox

Hi anything wrong with the option of selecting the old version !! I haven't been able to choose the old version as its not available!!

Please, I too would welcome the return of the "IRM Old Style" theme which I've always used until last week, or perhaps as an alternative a softer looking theme. I find the current theme very hard on the eyes. I do appreciate the excellent and hard work put in behind the scenes by the site admins running the forum and maintaining both IRM web sites.

Hi Noel - http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/forum.php?styleid=10 will provide you the higher contrast Mobile View

Thanks Admin. I prefer the desktop theme because it gives an instant 360 degree view of activity on threads and active posts. As an aside, I tend not to like mobile themes on any website, because they minimise info too much for my taste, and after all Steve Jobs went to such effort to invent pinch to zoom when he invented the smartphone and demonstrated reading the New York times so well. :) Appreciate the background work going on. Cheers. Noel

Hi all,

The old view was replaced in 2015! :)

We just had left the ability to switch looks on in the GUI.

I'm working on upgrades to the forum software and servers at the moment when I get some free time, so any suggestions on whats wanted / needed would be happily received.

Tagging a member into a post - by adding @ in front of their name - has been very useful on my other forum. They get an alert that they have been mentioned in a post.

Nice one Broithe, do you have a link to that forum? I'll check out how it works?

Nice one Broithe, do you have a link to that forum? I'll check out how it works?

http://www.staffordforum.com/xf/index.php - after you type @ in a post, as you type in further letters, it will suggest existing user names, which can be clicked, if the right one is suggested - much as happens here in the Search, when looking for something from a particular user.

Example here - http://www.staffordforum.com/xf/index.php?threads/flu-jab.18851/#post-355675 - user Gramaisc will have had an alert waiting the next time the forum was accessed. He could even arrange for an email alert in addition.

• Informative 1

Hi all,

The old view was replaced in 2015! :)

We just had left the ability to switch looks on in the GUI.

I'm working on upgrades to the forum software and servers at the moment when I get some free time, so any suggestions on whats wanted / needed would be happily received.

Hi Stephen.

Thank you. The work on site upgrades is much very appreciated. A few suggestions as requested and some minor CSS tweaks for the new desktop style:

• Post rating: Like, Agree, Thanks, Craftsmanship/Clever, Informative/Useful, Funny, Friendly/Supportive. This may reduce the number of trivial one line responses that can clutter an informative thread. (this is separate from the existing star based 'Thread rating')
  • Forum list: Make last post title standout more (i.e. bold, darker colour), it is currently same as 'poster name' below it
  • Thread list: Make thread title stand out more (i.e. bold, darker colour), it is currently lighter than the 'started by' person name under it.
  • Reading thread: Calibri or similar Font against pure white background might be easier to read than Helvitica
  • Editing post: Calibri Font or similar might be nicer than existing Courier fixed pitch Font against the white background

Below an image of the existing new style adjusted with just a few tiny tweaks to improve readability on the forum list:

irm_html_tweak03.jpg

Below an image of the existing new style adjusted with just a few tiny tweaks to improve readability on a forums thread list:

irm_html_tweak04.jpg

Edited by Noel

My other forum also recognises when you have looked at a page with New posts on and doesn't continue to flag that page as New later on, but, if there are also New posts on the following page(s), then the New flag remains.

Clicking on the alert for New posts on each thread takes you the the first new (unseen) post, rather than the most recent.

It also recognises that a post that you have just posted is not a New post from your point of view and doesn't flag up a New post on that thread, unless there happens to also be one that you haven't seen..

Handy

15 minutes ago, burnthebox said:

This is the first time I've been able to SEE the site in the past 3 days, last time I was able to access the site was over a week ago !  Don't understand the changes or reasons why !!  As said if it's not broken!!  

Sure if we stuck by that mantra we’d still be going to work on an ass and cart. :)

the forum has become hugely improved as you will find in the coming days. This wonderful free resource, run and funded by Stephen has just become significantly better!

I did struggle to get back in. My old Favourites link just took me to a Broken Page for the first attempts.

Eventually, I had to search for the forum from basics, then log back in and replace the Favourite link with a new one.

If anybody 'disappears' then it might be worth contacting them through another medium, where possible, in case they don't find their way back in.

Edited by Broithe
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

Hi Broithe

What favourites / links were you using?

The Favourites bar, running across the top of Chrome. my original link on there just took me to a Page of Death every time - finding the Forum via Google, then loading a new short-cut link has it all going again, after re-logging in. Luckily, I could remember the password...

I still see no Main Page route to Letting Off Steam.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

The new forum is an entirely new software, so saved direct links won't be working I'm afraid.

Yeah, I just wonder if some people will just think it is dead.

It might be worth mentioning that new links may be necessary on the Facebook, Twitter output - and keeping an eye out for anybody who doesn't reappear.

6 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:
24 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Aha!!!!

The new heading has a bubble, a ballast, and space to the right of it for - more new stock????? Answers on a postcard.....

All will be revealed in due course JB :)

Ah, I noticed that too.  :D There is space for a Tara wagon plus a short two axle wagon.

• WOW! 1

53 minutes ago, Broithe said:

Yeah, I just wonder if some people will just think it is dead.

It might be worth mentioning that new links may be necessary on the Facebook, Twitter output - and keeping an eye out for anybody who doesn't reappear.

Even if you follow an old link, you'll end up here, so no one should be terribly confused.

27 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

Even if you follow an old link, you'll end up here, so no one should be terribly confused.

Unless they believe the "page does not exist" message that I got and don't hunt further...

And I'm having to sign in on return, even if I've ticked the Remember Me box. I also have to Allow Notifications every new visit.

Edited by Broithe