Cement by Rail

Rate this question

StevieB

Question

Cement was carried by rail in Ireland in two forms, bulk and bagged. Bulk cement was carried in the cement bubbles introduced by CIE in 1964 while bagged cement was carried in vertical sided and curtain sided wagons. When were these introduced into service, please?

Stephen

8 answers to this question

I don't know when the bagged cement came in, there are the old and "new" blue curtain types of those wagons. There were/are also the 24 German built bogie bulks introduced around 1981/2. There were the very first air braked rolling stock to run in Ireland. 

2 hours ago, Railer said:

I don't know when the bagged cement came in, there are the old and "new" blue curtain types of those wagons. There were/are also the 24 German built bogie bulks introduced around 1981/2. There were the very first air braked rolling stock to run in Ireland. 

No, just the 12 of those, currently at Limerick

2 hours ago, StevieB said:

According to Wikipedia there were 12 of them built in 1979.

Steohen

Well if its on Wikipedia it must be true , I said 1979 from my recollection , i was on a IRRS visit to Inchicore Works on July 1979 and that was the first occasion I and a few others came across them sitting there lined up brand new having just arrived , the only loco adapted to  work the time was 189 with the rest of the fleet being adapted over time except for the A class . Over the years you would see up to 11 of them in one train never saw 12 myself together there was always one in for repair or spare . I also remember a member of staff in Limerick telling me that they were difficult wagon to completely discharge(compared with the bubbles) with cement being left at each end and building up over time I think they last worked in Dec 2009 on the Limerick -Waterford cement.

In answer to your original question Stephen the cement Bubbles 25050 series were the first bulk cement (powder) wagons built in a number of batches starting in 1964 with the last ones being built in 1972 , these were added too by the arrival of the 12 bogie wagons 33001 series in 1979.In addition  CIE built pallet cement wagons 28001 series starting in 1976/77 with steel doors being later converted to tarpaulin's these wagon's were used for bagged cement prior to these wagons being used, bagged cement would have been transported in 12 ton covered wagons of 'H' Vans.