Irish Railway Models to Release Cement Bubble in Iconic Orange Livery

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Interesting pic of Barry's.

The weather was possibly dull that day, because in reality they looked just very slightly brighter - basically the same orange-tan as carriages, or Donald's face....

The correct shade of brown is also evident on the van. Modern wagon brown is more reddish, but these vans were long gone before the newer brown was in use.

Edited by jhb171achill

Luckily I got mine today!, Can I ask about the DPD contract you have?.

My first package was left outside my door in a Estate. How it was not pilfered I don't know and the second one exactly the same.

Before I lash an Email off to DPD are they Obliged to get a POD signed for. There is a Spate of Thefts recently, not restricted to my own area but it all seems a bit Careless by DPD to leave it outside my gaf in view of everyone.

I will change the Delivery address for any future things to work I reckon to be safe.

Dunno what anyone else thinks?

Thanks anyway lads. dunno how you manage the effort this time of the year but you did it.

enjoy the break lads!.

I am out to the shed to run a train around the 1st laid loop on the layout. the Merchant Navy s will be taking a break tonight 

Yippie!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Luckily I got mine today!, Can I ask about the DPD contract you have?.

My first package was left outside my door in a Estate. How it was not pilfered I don't know and the second one exactly the same.

Before I lash an Email off to DPD are they Obliged to get a POD signed for. There is a Spate of Thefts recently, not restricted to my own area but it all seems a bit Careless by DPD to leave it outside my gaf in view of everyone.

I will change the Delivery address for any future things to work I reckon to be safe.

Dunno what anyone else thinks?

Thanks anyway lads. dunno how you manage the effort this time of the year but you did it.

enjoy the break lads!.

I am out to the shed to run a train around the 1st laid loop on the layout. the Merchant Navy s will be taking a break tonight 

Yippie!!

Probably best to say it to them yourself George but we will say it to them too. Thanks for the order! 

As the Good 'oul Post Office pay some of my pension, I'd be the last person to say something good about a courier firm.

However, the Lads addressed my package with just the well-known name of my house ("Pettigo Fair") and the DPD guy, to his great credit,  walked right round Lansdowne Road looking for the name! Now this Lansdowne Road is probably more of a maze than the corridors under the REAL Lansdowne Road, but he found me and delivered the package with a smile. And it was a day early!

Top Marks! 

Now, as for FEDEX - NEVER go near them - I sat in all day last Thursday week awaiting Conrad Natzio's new book - the package was in their Camberley office at 9am, for deliver by 6pm - it was delivered the next morning. THEY don't answer their phones either.

Finally, Lads, thank you for making such an effort to make so many of us guys happy by getting our pressies to us for Christmas. Nine of mine (the other three are still in their box) are whizzing round the loft behind my grey B121 and a fine sight they make.

Not in my wildest dreams when I saw these wagons for the first time as a teenager in the 1960s did I think that one day I would take mass-produced models of them out of a box and run them on my model railway!

Heartiest congratulations and thanks from a very happy septuagenarian!

Leslie

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I had a call from Mr DPD about an hour ago, looking for target coordinates for here - I now have my bubbles in front of me.

I was prepared for the brakes to be seized in the off-position, as on the ballasts, but was disappointed to find all six pressure gauges stuck - it'll be the cement dust, I suppose, at 1/76 scale, it'll just get everywhere.

Otherwise, they seem OK.

• Funny 5

Thanks everyone! I ventured over to the South Dublin Model Railway Club last night to drop off some orders. I was greeted with mince pies and a warm welcome. Thanks to Paul, Joe and everyone for the warm welcome and chat! I think everyone was delighted to see them arrive for Christmas!98BF4872-4C14-4A37-914C-82F3AC5D9C92.thumb.jpeg.53d21a3f396bd403b0f1de57c18a9815.jpeg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

5a621bb332c54_Orange3quarterEnd1Nikon.thumb.JPG.454604d2cdfe825768603ecd68d90e05.JPG

5a621bbcf2a39_Orange3quarterEnd2Nikon.thumb.JPG.600552b3c84dab8caee1627c50227bd5.JPG

5a621bd37ddde_OrangeSide1Nikon.thumb.JPG.825527eb5e1dd474fa94e4efb25af1d8.JPG

5a621bd55f108_OrangeunderframeNikon.thumb.JPG.33b8005250aaafba02da7ee3165981e2.JPG

Our orange bubbles arrived just under a month ago, and already we've sold just over 60% of them. Thank you to everyone who placed an order so far, it's great to see that they've been so well received!

You can read more about the orange bubbles here: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/orange-bubbles-are-here/

Make sure you don't miss out!
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Hi Very good models and crying for a bit of weathering, Just to say was the A class ref a spoiler ? Just about to finish one so expecting the worst or is it the best from the boys!

robert  

Thanks Robert, glad you like them! The reference didn’t come from an official IRM source, so would file it under “wishful thinking” 🙂

• 5 weeks later...

Question on the 'Bulk Cement' wording on the orange bubbles. Was this stencilled on or painted on or a combination of both? Barry's photo above shows stencilling, and this can be replicated with transfers available from Railtec. 

Also, Richie mentioned at some point about providing a spreadsheet with the livery details for each wagon. Have I missed this along the way or have you IRM lads been working him to the bone with all these new releases for 2018?

Stencilled, as far as I remember, but couldn't swear to all examples being done that way.

The grey on the bubbles initially was the older wagon grey, like you'd get on older brake vans, cattle trucks and wooden open wagons. The "H" vans, Palvans and steel-panelled brake vans were somewhat lighter.

On 21/01/2018 at 2:05 AM, Glenderg said:

Thank you. We'll have a cup of tae and a Sambo to celebrate...

:P

I just realised I've not actually seen the orange production versions...medical misadventures...

If that shunter was still at Inchicore, would they have to re-name it "Ethnic Minority" or "Locomotive of Colour"?

Thanks JHB. Actually thought myself that most of the orange bubbles were stencilled as well, but all of the IRM orange bubbles seem to be solid letters. Maybe one of the IRM lads can advise what they found in their research. The stencilling did find its way onto the bubble in Pack B. 

2 hours ago, iarnrod said:

Also, Richie mentioned at some point about providing a spreadsheet with the livery details for each wagon. Have I missed this along the way or have you IRM lads been working him to the bone with all these new releases for 2018?

Yes. :P 

As to the stenciling, the BULK CEMENT on the Pack B was hand drawn as I had a perfect side on shot from Lmk Jct. and its a really well spaced out bit of text on the proto.  But on the orange ones, the scale width between the characters is 6 - 12mm  in prototype or about 0.07 - 0.14mm in model terms , and the characters are all really compacted  Combined with the tampo process (and I think our chaps are top of the class in it) even a few microns of ink one way or the other may give the illusion that it's not a stencil.

(If you ever hear of me getting a hiding whilst in China, it might be the Tampo man, such are the demands we ask of him at times :P )

But on a related topic, we now have a full alphabet/font of wonky CIE text to use, all hand drawn, based on the prototype samples, for all test codes and so on. Basically we've replicated the process of a person putting a mask on a wagon, stamping it with a sponge full of paint, having a rough edged finish when complete, and scaling it down to 1.31%.  WooHoo!!!

R

• Like 2

Thanks for the detailed reply, Richie. I assumed that you guys had researched the wagons as much as was humanly possible. To think that you even know about the different widths of the stencils used is impressive to say the least. As to the full alphabet of CIE wonky text, what can I say except you guys take this modelling game to a whole new level.

Like I said in an earlier post, this really is the golden age of Irish railway modelling. 

• Like 1

Just to add to Richie's reply, if you zoom in as far as possible on a photo of the orange bubbles, you can actually make out the stencil marks. Considering the small distance between the parts of the stencil letters on the protype, as Richie mentioned, that's impressive. Almost invisible to the naked eye on the model, but still there all the same, allowing for the tolerances of the tampo printing.

IMG_2480.JPG

Edited by iarnrod
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/8/2018 at 9:14 AM, Warbonnet said:

An orange bubble weathered by Richie.... 

IMG_2903.thumb.JPG.ab1427c0648eb7bab44bf829078826bf.JPG

A gentle dusting really makes these the nicest of all the cement bubbles if you ask me. Really makes the detail pop out! 

Class! better than unrecognizable modern (with black chassis, .... ssssshh! @jhb171achill might not have taken his blood pressure pills yet!) caked in dash.

Very nice job, Richie!

• Like 2

Excellent job indeed! 

Having taken my pills, I can be calm and conniption-free. I haven't had a fit of the Screaming Fits in a week, and I'm recovering well after my last episode of the Heeby Geebies.....

A heavily weathered chassis will show little or nothing of its actual colour, so it's useful for black wagon chassis in general. The above could well be grey underneath! Looks completely realistic. Of all the wagons that ever existed, the bubbles were probably the worst weathered in modern times!

For those with GSR / CIE steam engines, if the model is black, and of a type that never had black examples, heavy weathering can make them look acceptably realistic.

Edited by jhb171achill