Sign in to follow this  
TonyMcGartland

Bread Containers

Are GN and UTA bread container conflats painted brown or grey? I have a selection of photos but only one that is in colour and it looks brown? 

Can anyone sdd to this?

Both!

Grey for unfitted wagons; brown for fitted.

Take a look at "GNR Wagons" and you'll see the colours used by Dapol on my earlier conflats. I did several hundred of them. Of course they were BR ones repainted.

MY Bread Containers (of which you have a couple?) were scaled a little to fit two on one of these.

Are you going to scratch build a "proper" Flat?

Leslie

Leslie, I have a few Dapol and Bachmann conflats that I bought up last year to go with your excellent bread containers. These are fine in the meantime, I would ideally like to scratchbuild a few also. Can I ask what paints/colour do you use on your containers (Colour catalogue numbers would be good)

Tony

My memory is that Dapol used what they call "MILNER" Grey for the unfitted. I don't think you'll find that in any catalogue! In general, we suggest painting "grey" wagons with Halford's grey primer!

As for the brown - I'm sorry I can't help. 

Leslie

Edited by leslie10646

Leslie, I have a Halfords Grey Primer at the ready. The samples attached were hand painted last year when I was working indoors. I'm now located outside in the new shed and just slowly getting the shed organised. These were sprayed with a matt acrylic varnish to seal the Railtec transfers but I'm not sure if its the correct spray for this job as it seems to coat everything with a fine grey mist. They will please me until I start scratch building in earnest!If there is anything obviously wrong do let me know please. 

IMG_1912.JPG

IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG

• Like 1

Heres the same bread container and conflat with the BR brake lever removed and replaced with a white metal single brake lever.

IMG_0027.JPG

Edited by TonyMcGartland
  • Like 1

The start of work on the GNRi weed spraying wagon with brass w-irons, whitemetal axleboxes and single brake shoe in place. Ready to take the whitemetal lever.

IMG_0043.JPG

• Like 1

Heirflick, just a little progress tonight. Managed to prime the Hornby RTR shell wagon thats pretty close and fit levers to the weedsprayer. Delicate work with lots of eye strain

IMG_0058.JPG

• WOW! 1

If this is of any use, PRONI has amongst their collection from the erstwhile UTA, sets of drawings of GNR(I) wagons (reference code UTA/23/AB/1), including a detailed drawing of the GNR(I) weed spraying plant dated 1937. A small image of this drawing was publicised recently in Archives & Records Magazine and it shows the tank wagon with its 6-wheel companion.weedsprayer.jpg.f061260368bb8e7130d49f2a8e1cbbc6.jpg

• Like 1