Jump to content
Geoff Johnston

Blue Cravens coaches

Recommended Posts

I anyone tell me who is selling these and how can they be contacted, thanks in advance Geoff ūüėéūüé®ūüĎć

Edited by Garfield
Correcting title

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Geoff Johnston said:

I anyone tell me who is selling these and how can they be contacted, thanks in advance Geoff ūüėéūüé®ūüĎć

Hi Geoff, they're available from the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland. They can be purchased by mail order using a form which can be downloaded here: https://steamtrainsireland.com/shop

I believe Mark's Models may also have some in stock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand they're selling well, and it's a limited edition which is highly unlikely to be repeated, so for anybody planning to buy them, I wouldn't hang about!

I saw them up close at Blackrock the other day - very impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The RPSI sold out of them Sat Sunday and Monday at the Blackrock show. I went to buy a set on Sat and they said come back early Sunday morning they will have 16 sets in. I was there as it opened and they had only 2 left after I got mine. Tina Hand said they can't believe how fast they sold and they are all in shock. They said that run won't be repeated but they will have another set of 3 standards release for next year.

I think there are only a handful left and they have to be bought from the RPSi through their Facebook page.

  • Informative 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marks models may have a few sets.  The good news is having sold so quickly the RPSI will almost certainly go ahead with plans for a matching set of three standard coaches sometime in the next 12months.  I will have to get the finger out on a BR mk1 BCK conversion to the maroon RPSI GSV 3173 to run with them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's great that the Cravens set sold so well and sales are supporting work on 134. At the same time I find it a pity that the RPSI Mk2s didn't sell as well. It was said they would do another set when they sold out but you can still get a set in Marks for ‚ā¨110.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Railer said:

It's great that the Cravens set sold so well and sales are supporting work on 134. At the same time I find it a pity that the RPSI Mk2s didn't sell as well. It was said they would do another set when they sold out but you can still get a set in Marks for ‚ā¨110.

That's interesting.  Any theories why the Green m2a RPSI coaches didn't sell as well as the Blue/Cream livery Cravens?

(e.g. attractiveness of livery, familiarity with coach type, public exposure to seeing the full size in operation, nostalgia, recent rail tours, etc)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's due to several things, Noel.

1   The Cravens are much more widely travelled, and are now associated with Railtours Ireland's "Emerald Isle Express" - with many modellers now having at least one 071, whether grey or "heritage" orange and black.

2   The largest market in Ireland is Dublin, which has four times the population of Belfast, or something like 75% of the population of the North.

3   The Cravens were sold by the RPSI to raise funds for the restoration of 134 - a project dear to the hearts of many, modellers included. I know several people who bought them to support the cause who don't even have layouts!

4   What do you haul them with.... there is no RTR steam loco to simulate RPSI specials. This will  put off some modellers who either haven't the skills or budget to make or acquire a suitable kit. If you're modelling / running any RPSI stock, be it Mk 2 or Cravens, you need a steam loco. A RTR 461* has been talked about - this would boost sales of all RPSI coach models. Also, on these pages a RTR J15* has been proposed, same again. For those with Cravens, an 071 can represent an RPSI Santa train, various RPSI charts, or the Emerald Isle Express.

 

( * please.... no yellow flying snails!)

  • Informative 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Railer said:

The RPSI sold out of them Sat Sunday and Monday at the Blackrock show. I went to buy a set on Sat and they said come back early Sunday morning they will have 16 sets in. I was there as it opened and they had only 2 left after I got mine. Tina Hand said they can't believe how fast they sold and they are all in shock. They said that run won't be repeated but they will have another set of 3 standards release for next year.

I think there are only a handful left and they have to be bought from the RPSi through their Facebook page.

Yes, that's right. Something to look forward to!

The maroon genny would be needed next, but even the least dexterous of us can paint a BR van maroon! We have seen some excellent conversions of BR full vans into gennies here.

The other RPSI genny van will be restored eventually and painted blue. Also, there is a possibility of one of Whitehead's "Dutch" vans going south - it was being discussed seriously anyway. Between Dublin and Whitehead the society has two Dutch and two BR. One Dutch van is in use on the northern set. Even in IE guise, we don't see that many Dutch vans in model form - with flat sides and ends, one might have assumed they're easier to build? Although, of course, various proprietary BR vans can be amended, as some have so expertly done here.

What I'd love to see is a set of the Whitehead-based (but all Ireland travelled) wooden heritage set.....

What happened, I wonder, to proposals for a RTR model of 461...is that proposal still live, does anyone know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The RPSI Mk2 set has been going around a few years now without the Dutch Van. The Mk2 brake/genny providing the power lately from what I can see, heance the shorter Mk2 rakes out on specials.

  • Informative 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

I think it's due to several things, Noel.

. . .

4   What do you haul them with.... there is no RTR steam loco to simulate RPSI specials. This will  put off some modellers who either haven't the skills or budget to make or acquire a suitable kit. If you're modelling / running any RPSI stock, be it Mk 2 or Cravens, you need a steam loco. A RTR 461* has been talked about - this would boost sales of all RPSI coach models. Also, on these pages a RTR J15* has been proposed, same again. For those with Cravens, an 071 can represent an RPSI Santa train, various RPSI charts, or the Emerald Isle Express.

OO Works have an RTR J15 due to ship next autumn, admittedly its the older variant like RPSI 184 and will be GSWR all grey livery.  But for me 461 in GSR green would be the ideal for hauling either RPSI coach rakes, and in model form probably a good runner being 2-6-0 rather than other 4-4-0s. 184 being 0-6-0 should run ok if the gearing is ok with DCC to make up for the absence of a flywheel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone cannot pick up the RPSI coaches I may be able to help

PM me for details  :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2017 at 11:17 AM, Noel said:

OO Works have an RTR J15 due to ship next autumn, admittedly its the older variant ....,,,

 But for me 461 in GSR green would be the ideal ..,,,,

That would be VERY nice!

For RPSI, perfect! Worth remembering, though, from a historical perspective that she was never CIE green in real life - the Society did it like this as it's brighter than the correct all-grey, and to show what lined CIE green was like in traffic.

The GSR used a lighter green with yellow and black lining, and applied it only to the trio of 800s. All other GSR locos without exception were grey.

  • Informative 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jonathan by any chance do you know when GSV 3185's overhaul is planned to be completed and more specifically what colour scheme she might end up with?

I vaguely remember you or somebody suggesting she may be an all over blue livery, presuming the same shade of blue as used on the blue and cream Cravens?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can one of the Mods correct the spelling of this thread. It's upsetting my OCD.  - Edit and it needs to be done to help others searching this forum. 

Edited by Glenderg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Glenderg said:

Can one of the Mods correct the spelling of this thread. It's upsetting my OCD.  - Edit and it needs to be done to help others searching this forum. 

Done!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2017 at 10:13 AM, jhb171achill said:

The maroon genny would be needed next, but even the least dexterous of us can paint a BR van maroon! We have seen some excellent conversions of BR full vans into gennies here.

The other RPSI genny van will be restored eventually and painted blue.

 

Hi all,

I am giving serious consideration to designing a MK1 BR genny kit to be used with a Bachmann BCK donor.   It will provide all the requisite detail.   Brass etched sides, underframe fuel tank, roof mounted exhaust and air intake modules, water feed opes, as well as transfers for both versions.

I'm using the Bach donor as it has superb roof detail that matches very closely to the CIE prototype. 

Expected cost will be c.‚ā¨25.¬†¬†¬†¬† Sound interesting?

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/11/2017 at 8:09 PM, Noel said:

Jonathan by any chance do you know when GSV 3185's overhaul is planned to be completed and more specifically what colour scheme she might end up with?

I vaguely remember you or somebody suggesting she may be an all over blue livery, presuming the same shade of blue as used on the blue and cream Cravens?  

Completion, I suppose, will depend on volunteer availability, so it's not easy to say when. It'll certainly be a few years, I would think.

Yes, the plan is blue - same shade as the Cravens. Whether or not it will have cream upper areas will simply depend on the views of those who paint it! I suspect plain blue would be best.

  • Informative 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Completion, I suppose, will depend on volunteer availability, so it's not easy to say when. It'll certainly be a few years, I would think.

Yes, the plan is blue - same shade as the Cravens. Whether or not it will have cream upper areas will simply depend on the views of those who paint it! I suspect plain blue would be best.

Thanks.  Hmmm!  I might paint the GSV conversion RPSI blue instead of B&T and run it with the RPSI cravens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Weshty said:

 

Hi all,

I am giving serious consideration to designing a MK1 BR genny kit to be used with a Bachmann BCK donor.   It will provide all the requisite detail.   Brass etched sides, underframe fuel tank, roof mounted exhaust and air intake modules, water feed opes, as well as transfers for both versions.

I'm using the Bach donor as it has superb roof detail that matches very closely to the CIE prototype. 

Expected cost will be c.‚ā¨25.¬†¬†¬†¬† Sound interesting?

 

It does indeed.  I'm currently converting two Bachmann BCKs, one using brass sides and the other with plastic.  Wish I'd knew this before I started. :) The brass sides I have are rather low on detail (i.e. flat), I suspect yours would be much better with relief for window frames, vent frames, hinges and door handles, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are the brass sides I'm using with a Bachmann BCK donor, rather than the Triang-Hornby in the pic (£12 from Mousa).  They are for RPSI maroon 3173 GSV. They seem accurate but I'm just disappointed they lack any relief for the window frames, door hinges,  handles, etc.  I can stick that stuff on with plastic.  One clever feature of these sides is they have multiple horizontal channels etched behind tumblehome to make bending into shape easy without need for specialist tools.

Des will your sides have separate window frames or will you etch those in relief, etc?

IMG_3487.jpg

Edited by Noel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be interested in the kit too Des. Although I wouldn’t be so keen on the brass sides - the rest of the bits sound good especially if there are separate window surrounds. Halfway through the maroon GSV conversion at the min but window frames are an issue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Weshty said:

 

Hi all,

I am giving serious consideration to designing a MK1 BR genny kit to be used with a Bachmann BCK donor.   It will provide all the requisite detail.   Brass etched sides, underframe fuel tank, roof mounted exhaust and air intake modules, water feed opes, as well as transfers for both versions.

I'm using the Bach donor as it has superb roof detail that matches very closely to the CIE prototype. 

Expected cost will be c.‚ā¨25.¬†¬†¬†¬† Sound interesting?

 

A welcome addition Des.I'd certainly be interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the interest lads, this is a definite runner so.  Detailing will be a mixture of etched and separates (particularly for the door hinges).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×

Important Information

Terms of Use