GoPro Fun - Ride on a model train

Rate this topic

Noel

A bit of fun with a short video clip taken from a moving model train.  The quality is not great due to poor lighting and I accidentally had the camera on LQ mode.  The GoPro was a birthday present.  It does give a whole new perspective down at that level when you become a 1/76 scale model of yourself looking at the trains go bye. 

I popped it on a flat wagon in the middle of a rake of Irish Cement wagons (IRM's finest).  I had expected loads of camera shake especially running over points but it was much steadier than I had expected.  After I 'green' up the layout over the winter will take the GoPro for another ride, perhaps right behind a 141.  

• Like 4
  • WOW! 1

24 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Noel

Might I suggest that you put the Pro Go on a flat wagon in front of your loco and push it along?

Should give a much better view of the layout

And maybe try a better version of the "passenger's eye view" that I had to use a 45 degree mirror for?

• Informative 1

44 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Noel

Might I suggest that you put the Pro Go on a flat wagon in front of your loco and push it along?

Should give a much better view of the layout

Good idea Dave.  I had only taken the GoPro out of its box and was excited trying to learn how to use it - I never read manuals.  I was trying to recreate the view from the back of a train forward to see the loco and forward wagons snaking into view around bends.  

Might also try a shot from a flat right behind the loco, or even from behind cab windows looking forward - off now to see if the cab from an MM 141 that I sacrificed as a donor for C class might do the job. :) 

19 minutes ago, Broithe said:

And maybe try a better version of the "passenger's eye view" that I had to use a 45 degree mirror for?

Another good idea.  The GoPro without its mounts fits perfectly on a flat wagon but doesn't move around due to its rubber skin, and its small enough to clear the loading gauge (i.e. fit under foot bridges, bridges, etc).

Anyway it was just an excuse to 'play' but I was impressed with the '1/76 scale little people' view passing close to other stock and station.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aclass007 said:

That's a nice first attempt. It also reveals what an impressive layout you have! 

Now my suggestion.... Maybe avoid using the music...The sound of the loco up front seemed to be very life like in the clip...It was just drowned out with the music....

Ok, work is in progress, sound gone, camera up front, behind cab windows.  Not sure if this is going to work, but will give it a try for fun.  Will post video clip later.  I don't know why but this little contraption reminds me of a nuns habit from the 1960s! :D You know, Black'n'White in a Black'n'Tan era.

IMG_3457.jpg

Edited by Noel
lexdysia
  • Like 3

Hmm!  It's a bit of fun but this doesn't really do it for me.  As Marilyn Monroe once famously said "It doesn't blow my skirt up"

But it was fun trying. The wagon needs more weight to stop it wobbling and the camera needs to be closer to the cab windows and a little higher to get a view of the track ahead.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Noel said:

Hmm!  It's a bit of fun but this doesn't really do it for me.  As Marilyn Monroe once famously said "It doesn't blow my skirt up"

But it was fun trying. The wagon needs more weight to stop it wobbling and the camera needs to be closer to the cab windows and a little higher to get a view of the track ahead.

Not bad at all Noel considering it was just a bit of fun,looks very well.Keep them coming I'd love to see a full circuit of the layout.

Edited by jason brady

18 hours ago, PJR said:

Have to say it looks great .Some adjustment to be able to see rails ahead and also blank the two holes for the lights and it should look  very realistic.

Done.  GoPro raised to see better forward out over cab windows and cab interior fitted.

15 hours ago, aclass007 said:

Some small alterations, and it would be a great video! I certainly thought the sound was good :tumbsup:

Thank you.  A few more tweaks below.

14 hours ago, jason brady said:

Not bad at all Noel considering it was just a bit of fun,looks very well.Keep them coming I'd love to see a full circuit of the layout.

We aim to please :) Ok, here is mk IV of the cab ride clip.  This time with a better view forward and some of the cab interior visible.  The layout is a bit of a mess at the moment with more construction work going on so I will post a clip in the future of the upper level circuit.

I know its a distraction from 'proper' modelling and pending workbench items, but it has been fun messing around with this.

• Like 3

Thanks guys.  Glad you enjoyed it.  Twas a bit of fun.

3 hours ago, PJR said:

Lovely job Noel very realistic , layout looks great.

It was fun using my iPad to to drive the train by looking out through the cab windows via the cameras video feed, and using the DCC throttle rather than at the model.  Disney small world! :) One thing that comes across is how speeds look so realistic when down at 1/76 eye level.

1 hour ago, Broithe said:

Excellent!

If only the wipers worked...

Ah now 'working wipers' - flip!!!  Ok mk V version coming up - suppose you want model rain as well :) 

1 hour ago, aclass007 said:

Brilliant! You more or less cracked it that time! 

I don't think I'd call it a distraction from proper modelling at all... It's more of a new aspect of modelling, that can be explored and exploited a lot more. It's a wonderful way to tour and view a layout! 

It is indeed a new aspect and I am going to run the odd train this way by looking out the cab window video feed instead of Monty Python'esque looking down at the train from high up in the clouds (i.e. overhead).  

46 minutes ago, jason brady said:

Excellent Noel, love it :tumbsup:

Glad you liked it Jason.  Personally I enjoyed looking at other stock as the train passed by.

• Like 2

Noel,.  that was a pleasure to watch, wasn't sure what to make of it at the start,. but getting a cab view of your fantastic range of stock and layout,.  Well it puts a lighthearted element into a sometimes serious hobby.   Keep the videos coming please. Thanks.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2017 at 4:47 PM, John-r said:

Noel,.  that was a pleasure to watch, wasn't sure what to make of it at the start,. but getting a cab view of your fantastic range of stock and layout,.  Well it puts a lighthearted element into a sometimes serious hobby.   Keep the videos coming please. Thanks.

Cheers John.  Glad you enjoyed the 'lighthearted element'.

23 hours ago, Weshty said:

Absolutely love this post.  This is the stuff 8 year olds dream of.  And really helped by the excellent sound.  Well done Noel.

Thanks Des. Sometimes I'm still 8! :) It's a bit like being let loose in Disney's small world! :) Or one of the Hornby adds from 1979 with Bernard Cribbins running around 'Hornby size'.  I tried putting a driver in the cab (see pic below) but it doesn't work, just a blurry figure.  Too close to the lens for DOF.

IMG_3459.jpg

These were classic adverts in their day.  Bernard Cribbins was then still very much associated with 'The Railway Children' movie.

19 minutes ago, Irishrailwayman said:

Noel, It would be great to set this up at an exhibition with a monitor for the public to view the unfolding scene from the cab - consider that an invitation to the Wexford Easter Exhibition 2018!

Hi Gerry. What an interesting idea, never thought of that.  Thanks for the invite - I'll be there.  Looking forward to Ireland's premier layout exhibition. Noel

32 minutes ago, Irishrailwayman said:

Noel, might be nice to run this around Ballybeg and capture a video of the views from the cab - sometime perhaps when you are down this way with David perhaps?

Hi Gerry.  Yes would love to.  That sounds like a plan.  Perhaps on a Saturday before a WMRC visit.  Noel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1