Loco information

Rate this question

heirflick

Question

Hi lads - looking for some info on this beautiful little 2-4-2t loco in the picture taken from the excellent book 'Locomotives of the GSR'. Very little on her except that she is ex WLWR (??}  then GSR class 266 of which there was 2, no 266 and 267.      Anyone know if they survived into the CIE era and what liveries did they use and what type of stock did she pull? I found a model that is almost identical from Bachmann that will need very little work to make her Irish!  Thanks .

DSC00258.JPG

DSC00253.JPG

Baccy4.jpg

6 answers to this question

I think they were a Robinson design, and they were initially WLWR Nos. 13 and 14, taken over by the GSWR along with everything else from that system.

The GSWR renumbered them 266 and 267. No. 266 was sold by the GSWR in 1914 to the Cork & Macroom railway, only to be re-absorbed into GSR stock following the amalgamation in 1925. Curiously, despite being the same as 267, it was given a new number and class - 491! It was scrapped in 1934.

267 survived into GSR times. I think, but I'm not sure, that it might have spent at least some time in West Cork, though I could be mixing that up with the other being on the Macroom line. In 1922/3, it was armoured for use by free State troops in the Civil War. THAT would make an interesting model. I think my grandfather was involved with the design for armouring it. It was scrapped in 1935.

Thus, neither of this interesting pair made it to CIE days, but there's poetic licence....

Liveries: In WLWR days, lined maroon, wheels and all. The GSWR painted them glossy black with red lining. Numberplates had a black background and polished numbers. After the late 1910s, 267 was painted plain grey all over, as standard for late GSWR / entire GSR & CIE period. The other, now as 491, got all-over grey once it left the Macroom's ownership to go back to the new GSR in 1925. Plain grey would see both out.

267 retained GSWR flat double smokebox doors until the end, plus cast iron numberplates.

Edited by jhb171achill

Thanks JHB.... That armoured version does spark my imagination! I know it's been asked before but what shade if grey are you talking about?  Any chance of info on  the rolling stock she might pull?   ( I new if anybody would answer this it would be you..many thanks!👍)

Edited by heirflick

13 hours ago, heirflick said:

Thanks JHB.... That armoured version does spark my imagination! I know it's been asked before but what shade if grey are you talking about?  Any chance of info on  the rolling stock she might pull?   ( I new if anybody would answer this it would be you..many thanks!👍)

heirflick

Humbrol 27 for the grey & I'd say you couldn't go wrong with a few 6 wheelerso.O at a guess..... and don't forget the tool box.

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
  • Thanks 1