Mayner

GSWR 52 Class GSR/CIE D17 4-4-0

The 52 Class were the 1st GSWR Class of 4-4-0 for express passenger traffic, the locos were bumped from the Kingsbridge-Cork & the Killarney passenger workings by the slightly larger 60 Class in the late 1880s, but lasted in main line and branch services into the 1950s. including Kingsbridge-Carlow-Kilkenny and Limerick-Sligo services & branch line services.

I am planning to build two of these locos one for my own uses and a commission and as a change from the 101 Class. I have 5 SSM/TMD J15s at various states from un-built to complete and a rebuild/upgrade into a 52 Class looked like the best option for 191 the oldest member of my fleet started over 30 years ago in 1986.

I am looking at designing a set of etched brass scratchbuilders parts for these locos  as an alternative to a scratchbuild.  The basic idea is to use the parts in conjunction with the SSM GSWR 101 Class tender & castings to complete the locos. 

The parts would allow for option of building the elegant GSWR/early GSR version with raised round top firebox and waisted smokebox or the more plain Jane GSR/CIE version with flush round top firebox and straight sided smokebox.

Class D17 -   1 - GSWR Class 52 4-4-0 - built 1890 by inchicore Works - 1925 to GSR, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1953.

Class D17 -   1 - GSWR Class 52 4-4-0 - built 1890 by inchicore Works - 1925 to GSR, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1953.

• Like 3

Should I ever get around to it I would love to have both a class 52 and a class 60 if that does not muddy the waters

Colin

I may be interested, John. Equally in the D16. I suppose that come the day it would depend on the price, though I know it would be WELL worth it.

• Like 1