Baseboards

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

Got a quiet spot this morning to start cutting the legs for my baseboards on the panel saw.  I’m taking the unusual step of making the baseboards before the actual track plan. It means I can work with the available space and set limits of layout size and work space in the shed.

5A067583-880F-4609-851D-29FEBDCA5B13.jpeg

Edited by TonyMcGartland

Thanks for the pointers. Looking at  8x4x 9mm birch ply I am thinking along the lines of 8no. 700mm x 350mm wide sections, giving me a total of 2100 x 1400 x 350mm wide. I plan on running 00 on this layout size, is it adequate, I think it’s pretty good.

Finally, I don’t plan on exhibiting, the sections allow me to build at work and drive home

Edited by TonyMcGartland

You're cutting the legs for a baseboard that you don't know what size nor design it is? I've proffered the "Lay track in haste, repent at leisure" but this takes the biscuit :) 

Slow down, stop cutting timber, measure the space available, and get out a wee notebook and start sketching a plan for track, baseboards and so on. Then start cutting legs etc. 

Rich. 

Rich, you haven’t been reading my previous posts where I discuss the baseboard size, have you?

Also, it’s never been a secret that I am modelling Omagh.

Armed with the original GNRi engineers drawing I will be arranging this vast station area around the baseboards that I have specified above.

Does this look like I don’t know what I’m doing? I have sketched and scribbled for months and have several ideas in mind, when the baseboards are in place it will be so much easier to  arrange these ideas around the space.

so if anything takes the biscuit it is a hasty response from you my friend.

TonyMcGartland (Logged Out)

• Confused 1

On 11/13/2017 at 12:16 PM, TonyMcGartland said:

I’m taking the unusual step of making the baseboards before the actual track plan. 

That's what you said. That's what I responded to.

You have an actual track plan of Omagh, and you're going to compress it to suit. Why anyone, having hard data of a track plan, would embark on this strategy of building a baseboard without validating a compressed track plan, is a mystery. Measure shed, draw it up, superimpose trackplan, and compromise accordingly would appear to be a more straightforward approach. 

I'm not having a go at your idea, not by a long shot, but if you got the track plan to match your actual shed dimensions, you'll save yourself a few headaches along the way. I say all of the above in a friendly, helpful way, not to have a go. I also say it because I've gone and screwed up in a similar vein, and would not like it replicated by someone else. 

Rich. 

Rich,

Sorry, my posting does seem rather unusual. My apologies.

I have the original track plan, I have the many sketches. I know where I want the plan to go and how to achieve it. There are several aspect to Omagh. The general station area, the sidings at the North cabin, the Engine Shed and turntable and the Goods Yard. These will feature around a circuit of track work so rather than an end to end. At either end I have a bridge, so as trains pass under either the bridge on the Derry Road or bridge on the Portadown bound line this gives me the scenic break to run trains out of sight and into the return loop.

Yes, it was a poorly worded post with an equally poor response!

Edited by TonyMcGartland