Ballyercall (New Irish Layout

Rate this topic

NIRCLASS80

• 2 months later...

Well it’s been slow going. 

First decision was what track to go for?  After looking at many options I have taken the plunge for the new Peco bullhead rail. I know the width of the track isn’t correct but for my own sanity and to speed things up and bullhead was common in Ireland until the 1990’s. 

BA4AC6DC-F957-4613-9608-1EF7091140EE.jpeg

• Like 3

NIRCLASS80, great!

Do they have the full range of pointwork. I'm trying to source track at a reasonable price at the moment. I've been cutting very large radius curves in ply today to assist with the flexi track but my purchase is only weeks away. Will follow your progress. Are you buying locally?

Edited by GNRi1959

8 hours ago, GNRi1959 said:

NIRCLASS80, great!

Do they have the full range of pointwork. I'm trying to source track at a reasonable price at the moment. I've been cutting very large radius curves in ply today to assist with the flexi track but my purchase is only weeks away. Will follow your progress. Are you buying locally?

Still only large radius points available but I decided that would be fine as I am building a fairly simple shelf style layout.  They are lovely points.  

I am buying locally but I live in Shropshire so it maybe a distance from you!!

After my previous large Canadian layout this layout is very much planned to be operationally interesting so my track plan is fictional and just very much a place to enjoy the lovely Irish models now being produced.  

Edited by NIRCLASS80
  • Like 1

Just a few notes about the new Peco Bullhead track for those that haven’t seen it before. Sleeper spacing is greater than code 75 or 100 streamline track. 

B2F5FA5B-AAC6-4841-A151-C45F04BE525E.thumb.jpeg.53c1ca3d50c354fce8ecaac0e6852457.jpeg

Points are currently available in large radius only, here is a photo of code 75 and bullhead side by side.

772E5327-E5F5-46B1-A116-12068F7DC66C.jpeg.08a46dc862ff1b606d269043f91b22b7.jpeg

Also the hinge joints on the point blades are gone. 

61748187-0E92-4F3D-9A7D-E89E7288416E.jpeg.4e80cfc79523a4ecd99c53480bc438d5.jpeg

• Informative 1

Having ripped up my previous layout in Code 100 I opted for the Code 75 this time round. This decision occurred about a year ago. I think if I had my choice again now I'd be swayed towards the Bullhead option. The points look very impressive and much less toy like and the sleeper spacing would appear more aesthetically pleasing too. 

Paul

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 18 January 2018 at 5:32 PM, NIRCLASS80 said:

Just a few notes about the new Peco Bullhead track for those that haven’t seen it before. Sleeper spacing is greater than code 75 or 100 streamline track. 

B2F5FA5B-AAC6-4841-A151-C45F04BE525E.thumb.jpeg.53c1ca3d50c354fce8ecaac0e6852457.jpeg

Points are currently available in large radius only, here is a photo of code 75 and bullhead side by side.

772E5327-E5F5-46B1-A116-12068F7DC66C.jpeg.08a46dc862ff1b606d269043f91b22b7.jpeg

Also the hinge joints on the point blades are gone. 

61748187-0E92-4F3D-9A7D-E89E7288416E.jpeg.4e80cfc79523a4ecd99c53480bc438d5.jpeg

Hi guys, so can someone tell me what do's this do for an intended OO gauge layout. !! on which I would very much wish for the better style / appearance of sleeper...!!  appearance wise the Bullhead looks, to my Specksavour eyes the more realistic...! TIA

BTB

I like the look of the new Peco Bulkhead track. The points without the hinge half way along the blade is also a nice touch. If I had more free time I would have went for the correct scale of track and regauge my rolling stock. Sometimes compromising is the only option. 

WARNING. The fishplates are rather frustrating to fit!😁

22 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

I like the look of the new Peco Bulkhead track. The points without the hinge half way along the blade is also a nice touch. If I had more free time I would have went for the correct scale of track and regauge my rolling stock. Sometimes compromising is the only option. 

WARNING. The fishplates are rather frustrating to fit!😁

All my rolling stock is OO Gauge, if I was to opt for Peco Bulkhead track, ( which is equal oven to Peco Code 75, !!! or Peco Code 100...!!!    I don't have a clue as to which is better ) would that mean having to change my rolling stock ,TIA

BTB

Hi BTB

NIRClass80 is referring to 21mm broad gauge in his comment 'correct scale' I reckon,

Peco Bullhead is OO gauge (16.5mm) you don't have to change your rolling stock for Code 75 or 100

The difference is;- code 100 is a taller rail at 1.6mm high and code 75 is finer scale at 1.34mm high which is more like the real thing. The gauge is the same on both at 16.5mm. The only time you might experience code 75 problems is with really old locos or stock with deep wheel flanges, and then you would have to replace wheels on them to run on code 75.

Eoin

8 hours ago, murrayec said:

Hi BTB

NIRClass80 is referring to 21mm broad gauge in his comment 'correct scale' I reckon,

Peco Bullhead is OO gauge (16.5mm) you don't have to change your rolling stock for Code 75 or 100

The difference is;- code 100 is a taller rail at 1.6mm high and code 75 is finer scale at 1.34mm high which is more like the real thing. The gauge is the same on both at 16.5mm. The only time you might experience code 75 problems is with really old locos or stock with deep wheel flanges, and then you would have to replace wheels on them to run on code 75.

Eoin

Eoin, you are 100% correct I was referring to 21mm scale when I said correct scale.  All locos and rolling stock are running fine with the wheelsets straight from the box. 

On 25 February 2018 at 7:48 AM, NIRCLASS80 said:

Eoin, you are 100% correct I was referring to 21mm scale when I said correct scale.  All locos and rolling stock are running fine with the wheelsets straight from the box. 

Hi Eoin many thanks & apologies for the delay in responding, I recon that settles it, so I can use  Peco Bullhead code 75 on OO GAUGE track...!!! Isn't that right...!!!!!!!👍

TIA

BTB

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...