Failed loco

Rate this question

IANG

Question

I have recently  a 141 and last night as I was testing it but by not thinking I accidentally placed it on same powered track as another loco on a dc layout .. Since this my 141 is refusing to move any ideas what I can do to revive it without having to send it off for repair thanks in advance. 

16 answers to this question

Hi IANG

Some more info required;-

Is the 141 DCC? a lot of DCC'ed locos will run on DC track if the chip has been set to do so?

Did it run on the DC track?

Did it make a noise when you put it on the DC track?

Are you now trying to run it on DCC track?

Are the wheels and track clean?

Eoin

11 hours ago, IANG said:

I have recently  a 141 and last night as I was testing it but by not thinking I accidentally placed it on same powered track as another loco on a dc layout .. Since this my 141 is refusing to move any ideas what I can do to revive it without having to send it off for repair thanks in advance. 

Hi Ian

If you placed a DC loco (without a decoder) on a DC layout as you say above, the fact that there is another loco on the same powered track would NOT cause damage to either.  If there was power to the track both locos should have moved.

On the other hand If you placed a DC loco (i.e. without a decoder) on a DCC layout that was powered up, the motor would have hummed and buzzed and there is a slight risk of damage if left there for more than a few seconds.  Putting a loco with a DCC decoder on a DC layout should be perfectly safe for the loco, it just won't drive unless the decoder's CV 29 settings have enabled DC mode.

Hope this helps

Noel

Hi IANG

That sounds like something got into the works or the works are jambed somehow! Take a close look around the wheels and see if anything may be stopping the mechanisms from turning, push the wheels back and forth with the fingers and see if there is play in the gears, hold it up-right while doing this and see if anything drops out.

Check also to see if the bogies fell free to rotate and wobble from side to side

Try it on the track again after doing all this and see what happens- watch carefully and see if it budges and then stops- if it does move slightly and stop, this will tell you its something mechanical locking up

Eoin

Edited by murrayec

It's 112 I know above stated 141 but point being anyway it's still not buffing atal now wheels seem free there's bit play there's 3 small switches on bottom they don't seem to make a difference ether 

Edited by IANG

As Eoin says, it could be mechanical. However, it could be electrical instead. Suggest you remove the body and check wiring from pick ups to motor. A loose wire anywhere would explain why the loco is dead...

Poor, as opposed to none, running could be dirty wheels and/or pickups not touching the wheels.

Alternatively, if you can hear the motor, then it might be part of the gear train is loose. Eg, the worm is not fixed to the motor spindle, or the main gear attached to the loco axle has come loose. Don't know anything about these locos, but on kit built locos the gears are held in place with grub screws and one of these may have come loose.

Think might be internal problem don't exactly want to take it part myself very delicate railing on sides like 071 just annoyed because it's literally just out of box .. anyone have an idea what marks models in dublin 2 are like for just having it looked at price wise etc.. .or is thier anywhere in midland my local model shop in tullamore closed down unfortunately 

Before you open it up, you can check the resistance between wheels on opposite sides, to see it you have actually a circuit through the loco. If you do, then you could also see if the forward/reverse switch on the controller causes the loco to move just a little in each direction - this would imply an obstruction in one of the bogie gearboxes (probably).

I'm not sure how to go about opening it up it was running when I picked it up of track it hasn't ran since that it's was budging but now it's not doin anything ... https://www.google.ie/search?q=murphy+model+112&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=imvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjivNrb4NXXAhVpLsAKHWiPCMQQ_AUIEigB&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=XZPOdSAAL--dCM: this is same as mine