What bogies used on Laminates + Bredin?

Rate this question

Noel

Question

9 answers to this question

Noel,

General answer, based on photo evidence, is that the Bredins/early standard CIE coaches built in the early 1950s ran on GSR bogies. I use Bachmann LMS bogies to replicate these.

Laminates, built from the mid '50s to early 60s appear to have been equipped with Commonwealth bogies. Again, Bachmann do these as spares.

Hope this helps.

Glover

• Informative 1

30 minutes ago, Glover said:

Noel,

General answer, based on photo evidence, is that the Bredins/early standard CIE coaches built in the early 1950s ran on GSR bogies. I use Bachmann LMS bogies to replicate these.

Laminates, built from the mid '50s to early 60s appear to have been equipped with Commonwealth bogies. Again, Bachmann do these as spares.

Hope this helps.

Glover

Just to clarify re. the Commonwealth bogies, CIÉ used a 'lightweight' pattern for coaching stock which differed visually from the pattern used by BR. I understand @Weshty at Studio Scale Models is working on this bogie... :)

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Glover said:

Noel,

Hope this helps.

Glover

58 minutes ago, Garfield said:

Just to clarify re. the Commonwealth bogies, CIÉ used a 'lightweight' pattern for coaching stock which differed visually from the pattern used by BR. I understand @Weshty at Studio Scale Models is working on this bogie... :)

13 minutes ago, Weshty said:

Yes indeed, the irish "Commonwealth" is a much different creature than the UK version.  I will be releasing this in the new year in  a comprehensive mould set for a Laminate / Park Royal / 50's Bredin. 

Bogies
Battery Box
Buffers
Gangway etc.

Thanks Guys

Des 

Will these be resin, brass or white metal?

Noel

I was vaguely aware that the Commonwealth bogies used by CIE were different but I have to say that I struggle to see the differences. Maybe I just don't want to!

Westhy/Des, while on the subject of bogies, any plans to make the GNR 10' bogies, as used under K15 coaches etc ?

Cheers,

Glover

10 hours ago, Noel said:

What bogies where used on CIE Laminate and Bredin coaches?  Thanks in advance. 

Cie used both types the vast majority of coaches the park royals , laminate's and buffet car's were fitted with as Glover Called A "lightweight" Commonwealth Bogie this is the 8'0"version the type used on BR is 8'6" wheelbase version 100mph capable , these were fitted to the later CIE  Laminates 1497-1503 (built 1962) Full Firsts 1145 1146 (built 1963) and retro fitted to Kitchen cars 2403 and 2407.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126254131@N05/32494867636/in/photolist-pHqkHU-RvsG6j-Ruhxhn-QfyGUB-RvsG3y-RvsGdU-oicfnr-RDBsRB-d5Ynwq-RBRLcn-Yz415C-oeTV96-8FaJBh-ode2vv-8FaVJL-RnTtax-a5Jepb-T6UVWv-RpPppH-fL8vMA-ouikCf-otppuo-ovaymX-rpcHYS-x6GAdn-yAf8U4-xgUYFi-ow5sLc-x5oSgY-oszDny-Tzb8UN-wZ9Jxq-wk1QLN-xgz6dM-wNxudo-xeAWS7-xJK9QR-v9mYBk-wZJUrh-oermBp-x5Q4sQ-x8bxEi-wbiXaP-x5oPTw-tDzL98-x6GxaP-x6GuMn-oeqtVr-x69RLz-x6GtWz

Edited by flange lubricator
  • Informative 1